Help with Identifying Russian Royal (?) Insignia on Knife & Fork

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Eggoman

Help with Identifying Russian Royal (?) Insignia on Knife & Fork

Post by Eggoman »

I recently purchased a collection of Silver Flatware to help settle an Estate. Included were a knife and fork that are of Russian origin, I believe. I believe that the marks indicate that the silver is 84 zolotniki, Josef Sosnkowski - Assayer, Warsaw, Petrograd (anchor) mark. The knife has a Gerlach blade.

My question - Can anyone identify the Insignia on the Knife & Fork? I was told that these once belonged to someone of Russian Royalty, but I am skeptical, still, I don't know.

Anyone have any help or leads for me???

ImageImage
Goldstein
contributor

Re: Help with Identifying Russian Royal (?) Insignia on Knife & Fork

Post by Goldstein »

Warszaw under Russian rule.

Goldstein
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Good Evening

A seven pearled crown were used in some countries for a Baron.
Hope this helps
Jannie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It's unbelievable people are still fascinated with nobility and buy silver because of family crests.But it's not for me to judge.
The facts:
Approximately 9,000 families were awarded about 15,000 coats of arms. Many families were awarded multiple coats of arms, some up to 20.
There are approximately 550 different coats of arms in the Polish Nobility system.
This is Ogończyk coat of arms (Poland).186 Polish and Lithuanian families were awarded the Ogonczyk Coat of Arms by Polish kings.
Meaning,there are 186 families as potential candidates for original owners of this knife and fork.

Description:
Gules, half an argent arrow heading upwards, supported by half of a ring. Out of the crest coronet two bare maiden hands (sometimes armed hands), holding a ring, all proper.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hatching is a conventional system for monochrome denotation (e.g. engraving) of heraldic armory, whereby the tinctures (colours) are represented by dots and lines.
Vertical lines above represent red or gules in heraldic terms.
Eggoman

Post by Eggoman »

Oh my God! You People are AMAZING!!!

All I can offer is my sincere "Thank You"!!!

I hope that one day, I will be able to answer someone's request for information!

Cheers & Stay Well!
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

Interesting point from AG2012 and interesting to hear your knowledge of the number of families related to a certain coat of arms.

For myself the history and items from certain nobility families are interesting. There are always collectors for items previously owned by nobility and I believe here lies the same rule as for any collecting that the more rare item the more sought they are meaning higher values in auctions etc. This applies for higher nobility ranks such as prince and count, for lower nobilities like barons the items are not that rare.

Regards,
Juke
Eggoman

Post by Eggoman »

I appreciate the thoughts and comments - ALL of them.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

My best to you all!

Stay Healthy!

Return to “Russian Silver”