Help needed with the maker's marks / podstakannik

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Atlas
contributor

Help needed with the maker's marks / podstakannik

Post by Atlas »

Hello,
So help would be appreciated with identifying the maker's marks on this (1889) St.Petersburg podstakannik (h.11.5cm) if you please.
So I suppose it is not Kollin...
Perhaps Edvard Johan Kortman then?
The following photos tell a sort of a slide-show, which can be seen on the side of this tea glass holder.
Would also be grateful if someone could tell the meaning of the text in the side, please.
Best regards,
Atlas.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Help needed with the maker's marks / podstakannik

Post by Qrt.S »

Good evening Atlas,
A very nice podstakannik. Yes, the maker is Edward Kortman in St. Petersburg.
FYI
Erik Kollin ( 1836-1901) never used Cyrillic letters in his initials and punch. He always marked Latin EK. Sometimes Kortman's Cyrillic mark ЭК is claimed to be Kollin's mark that is not the case.

About the text on the podstakannik. It took a while to find out what it says. Very difficult letters. Anyway, here it is: ЧАЕКЪ ПОПИВАЙ РОМОК ПОДЛИВАЙ. In English that would be: DRINK TEA POUR SOME MORE RUM. If you look carefully you can see a bottle on the 6th picture labeled "POM..." i.e. rum.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, forgot to tell the assayer. He is Ivan Vonifatievitch Yestigneyev, active in St. P. 1870-1894
Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/nXF1YgpY/20200312-203004.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/N281R7nz/20200312-203114.jpg[/img][/img]
Hey guys!
I have one glass holder in my collection with the similar maker's mark. I thought it was made by Kollin till today. Thanks for your discussion.
Cheers!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Valdemar

The Finn Erik Kollin was the head workmaster at Fabergé 1868-1889. He is best known for his high quality gold work. e.g. the replicas of the gold objects and jewellery found in the Kul-Oba burial mound 1830. He is also known for the first imperial egg, the Hen Easter Egg that was most likely made in Kollins workshop in 1885. Erik Kollin was a giant among goldsmiths in whole Russia.

Nothing wrong with Edward Kortman but he was one goldsmith in the row of goldsmiths in St. Petersburg. He cannot be compared with Kollin. Objects made in his workshop are much less valuable than work of Kollin. In case the seller of you podstakannik claimed it to be made by Kollin and you paid for his name, you have been frankly said deceived. Hopefully you haven't paid too much.
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

@Qrt.S.
Thank you very much once again. I would have had major difficulties trying to figure out the cyrillic text myself.
And yes, I did notice the "rum" text on one of the bottles.
But do you or does anyone have an idea of the meaning of the text on the ( Champagne or more likely a some other wine of the sparkling type? ) two bottles accompanied with glass on the ( so to say ) left-hand side? ( See a more detailed photo down below.)
Best regards, Atlas.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Atlas,
You are welcome. FYI, please do not think that I just read the text and that's that. As I said it took quite a while to "interpret" and imagine what was written. I also tried to understand what you are asking for, but unfortunately a too long haul for me, no idea, sorry.
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

@Qrt.S
My apologies if my reply appeared to sound so. But I think I did understand, that it was not an easy task to translate it. I just ment, that it would have been an impossible mission for me in reality. But thank you once again, I really do appreciate your effort, to say the least.
Perhaps I try asking this dilemma from a sommelier friend of mine. I will inform here if succession is met.
Best regards,
Atlas.
Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

Qrt.S wrote:@Valdemar

The Finn Erik Kollin was the head workmaster at Fabergé 1868-1889. He is best known for his high quality gold work. e.g. the replicas of the gold objects and jewellery found in the Kul-Oba burial mound 1830. He is also known for the first imperial egg, the Hen Easter Egg that was most likely made in Kollins workshop in 1885. Erik Kollin was a giant among goldsmiths in whole Russia.

Nothing wrong with Edward Kortman but he was one goldsmith in the row of goldsmiths in St. Petersburg. He cannot be compared with Kollin. Objects made in his workshop are much less valuable than work of Kollin. In case the seller of you podstakannik claimed it to be made by Kollin and you paid for his name, you have been frankly said deceived. Hopefully you haven't paid too much.
Thank you, Sir, for the very interesting and valuable information regarding work of two masters. The seller advertised the item as a work of Kollin but the price was reasonable. After reading mentioned above discussion I found in the Internet many items made by of E. Kortman. Some of them are pieces of art and cost fortune ( cigar boxes for example). The thing I noticed that this master had sort of sense of humor in the form of depicting birds and other animals on the surfaces of some of his items. Even on my glass holder - there are two small birds on one side and the bigger one ( their mum) is on the other side. These two are hiding from her in the branches of trees. The glass holder of Atlas has the saying engraved on it with humor as well. What a wonderful master Edward Kortman was!!!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Waldemar

Unfortunately some "sellers" draw hasty conclusions based on nothing only in order to make money. In this case ЭК versus EK. ..Who cares but the difference is big even if both show "similar EK". Search on Internet for Erik Kollin and you will find that he worked with gold and jewellery. Neither your nor Atlas' podstakannik is made of gold. Do you believe the seller has bothered to investigate who is ЭК? It is very common that some sellers have no scruples to produce incredible stories to unknowing potential buyers. I'd like to repeat a very often made statement here:
Believe only on your own eyes and knowledge. Do not let the seller distract you with nonsense while you investigate what you possibly might buy! If you don't know what it is, leave it!

Return to “Russian Silver”