Moscow cigarette case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
madej

Moscow cigarette case

Post by madej »

Hi.
I do not have any books with hallmarks at the moment. Can you tell me who is a silversmith?
And one more question, what is the most appropriate twine to choose? How did it look with a chain and a twine?
Regards

ImageImageImageImage
Goldstein
contributor

Re: Moscow cigarette case

Post by Goldstein »

Hi madej -

maker BEP (BP - PL # 2337) is the wellknown Rukawischnikov, Wasilij Egorowitsch. Known for his nice cigarette cases.
Cigarette cases with tinder cord and match compartment are often seen. It was the time when matches were very expensive and not very safe (selfignition) - you did not want to carry them in your trouser pockets......you used a match safe to protect your best parts.
Procedure: you pulled the tinder cord out of its sheath and ignited it with a match from the match compartment on the friction plate. After the use you pulled the tinder cord back into its housing.
Here some examples of complete cigarette cases of this kind - often chains and tinder cords are missing. The tinder cords were often very extensively designed to show your wealth /social status.

there existed match safes with tinder cords too...

Regards
Goldstein
madej

Post by madej »

Hi Goldstein.
Thank you.
I do not understand too much because of my weak English use of tinder cord :(
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

Ok. I understand :)
Thanks
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Tinder tubes have been used for centuries as a fire starting tool with flint and carbon steel striker.Before first use, ignite the frayed end of the cord with a flame, then slowly pull the burning end into the tube until extinguished. The charred surface of the burned end becomes very flammable, easily ignited by a spark. Store the charred end well inside the tube, until next use.
For details how to ignite fire see here:
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/05 ... steel.html

Regards
madej

Post by madej »

Hi AG2012
Yes, I read, Thanks
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi madej -

for your better understanding:

As already mentioned, the first matches were very dangerous (self-ignition) and also very harmful to health due to the use of red phosphorus - this only changed later through the use of other substances. To avoid these inconveniences, the matches were stored in so-called match safes. Since the matches at that time were not cheap you tried to extend the burning time by adding a fuse - this had to be lit up with the match - so with one match a whole round of smokers could be fired. Since this handling was somewhat impractical, a cigarette case was developed with a fuse, match compartment and a friction surface.

Here some examples:

and one for the pipe smoker

Regards
Goldstein
madej

Post by madej »

Yes, I understand, thank you.
Regards

Return to “Russian Silver”