ART NOUVEAU SILVER OPERA/THEATRE PURSE

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

ART NOUVEAU SILVER OPERA/THEATRE PURSE

Post by AG2012 »

Art Nouveau Russian silver opera/theatre purse. The purse is hand engraved with a spider on her web. The spider's body is set with two oval cabochon blue sapphires for the body and for the head. The front of the purse has an engraved monogram. Dimensions are 9 x 3 inches. The interior pockets of fine leather of the purse were just large enough to hold theatre tickets and perhaps a few coins. Gilded inscription on leather in German: ``Atelier of fine leather ware C.Wechsler graduated 1910. Hallmarked with the Kokoshnik used in the Odessa region, after 1908 (Greek letter kappa), and also with a silversmith's mark ЦВ.
I strongly believe this cannot be the coincidence — ЦВ initials on silver matching C.Wechsler on leather in the same item. Interestingly, Odessa was one of the richest cities in Russia and still, very poorly documented masters, unless signed with full name (every single master with initials in PL is registered as ``unknown``).There IS very sound historical reason for that, but I will not engage in it.
Can we ad C.Wechsler to identified Odessa masters based on this? If you have already identified him you will kindly excuse me for wasting your time.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: ART NOUVEAU SILVER OPERA/THEATRE PURSE

Post by Qrt.S »

If you mean that C. Wechsler's maker's mark in Cyrillic letters would be ЦВ (Tse V) then what would Tse stand for...Latin C? No, I don't think you can make that conclusion but we can add ЦВ as a new to name unknown master i Odessa.

Anyway like to ask you where are the marks and are the shown marks the only ones on the purse?
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi AG2012 -

your purse is original (even the often renewed chain) - exept of the lining - this must have been renewed later. The standard liner was in textile (silk etc.), only the later Soviet made purses had leather liners. Please have a close look at the cabochons - standard is blue, red or green glass - not saphire. The maker is unfortunately unknown.

A little possible explanation:
Many German millers went to Odessa while waiting for the grain to ripen which they wanted to buy (Ukraina - corn chamber). They used the waiting time for sightseeing etc. and bought souvenirs for their familys and friends at home - one of the many reasons why Fabergé had a office there. Silver purses were very en vogue at that time - in this compact or in mesh form. Just check the forum - I have written an article with the same background about Fabergé "presents" from Odessa a while ago.

Regards
Zolotnik
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi AG2012 -

here some photos from my collection. Clearly you can see the original liner and how used it became with time and heavy use - so it had often to be renewed. As this purses were very common in the years 1910-20 it was no problem to find enough craftsmen who were able to redo this liners. I have seen silk, velvet, leather, etc. As your liner is made of leather with a manufacturer´s name in German and the lockable middle compartment. I am convienced it is German made somewhere in Germany or the Baltic states. These purses came in different designs, spider and web, monogramms engraved or in different coloured gold, engraved flowers, a herd of elephants etc. and were very popular.

Regards
Zolotnik
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Please reconsider C.Wechsler in Odessa; in the meantime I managed to find very similar purse made by him (leather interior much better preserved), very similar spider web, green stone for the head being the only difference, the same chain, the same clasp, the same marks. Why ``ЦВ`` for C (most probably Carl) Wechsler, and not ``KB``? How come two almost identical purses? Well, both were with the descendents of Russian emigrants, being on one of the last boats leaving Odessa for Istanbul before The Red Army entered. Once rich and educated family, wrapped in blankets with typhoid fever and a few valuables to survive (the purses being there, too).
In a word, it seems beyond any reasonable doubt the leather interior IS made by C. Wechsler, as well as silver — TOO MUCH COINCIDENCE TO BE OTHERWISE, leather interior IS genuine, there WERE leather interiors in purses like those, the Odessa being one of the richest cities in Russia,C.Wechsler DID graduate fine leather ware in 1910.
If so, our ``research`` (we are here for this, right?) will contribute to identify at least one of Odessa masters, all being known by initials so far (except for those who marked with full name).
Not too valuable but of sentimental value.
There is nothing new to post right now, unless I come across an item with unidentified marks.
Thank you so much and good luck. God bless you all.

Attached marks: marks on purse already posted and marks on the second purse.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Ag2012 -
AG2012 wrote:Well, both were with the descendents of Russian emigrants, being on one of the last boats leaving Odessa for Istanbul before The Red Army entered. Once rich and educated family, wrapped in blankets with typhoid fever and a few valuables to survive (the purses being there, too).
I very much like this kind of sweet stories to explain nonsense ! Grandmother always said: "Facts - or it has not happened". Valuables ----2 cheap purses??

I think I will refrain from answering your posts in the future.

Regards
Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”