Need Help ID'ing Gold Snuff Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
nonsequitur

Need Help ID'ing Gold Snuff Box

Post by nonsequitur »

Hello, I need help ID'ing this box. It is a snuff box possibly from St Petersburg Russia. I have looked and the closest I can find is on a silver marks site. That site has marks from St Petersburg only similar to what is here. I made a small collage of the same stamps with the pictures taken in different light and light angles. I wanted to add more but seem to be limited here. Thanks in advance!

A picture can be seen at photobucket:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/b ... lage-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Need Help ID'ing Gold Snuff Box

Post by Qrt.S »

Is that all you have in marks on the box? If that is the case, it is difficult indeed to trace its origin. You see the mark you show is a Russian import mark. ПТ stands for ПРИВОЗИЫХ ТОВАРОВ meaning "imported goods". This mark was introduced in 1882 and used until 1898. Your box is imported to Russia via St Petersburg 1882-1898
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi nonsequitur -

is your "goldbox" heavyly silverplated? Even the engraving?
For me it looks like a European made silver box, inside gilded with funny Russian "Gold/import marks". Maybe better over all photos make more sense.

Regards
Zolotnik
nonsequitur

Post by nonsequitur »

There is no trace of silver on the box. There are more pictures of it from the listing where I bought it:

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The antique forum I first posted to are at that site, with the post using the same title.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
unfortunately the photos do not work, your photo is not very colour real. If I understand you right, the object is not in your hands and you can not answer some questions I have.(Weight, measures, other marks etc.)
If the object was made somewhere in Europe (Germany, Austria-Hungary = my guess, France or England) it should have some additional marks though objects for the export sometimes went unmarked to the foreign country and get there the legal marks. To Russia exported goods mostly had the marks of the origin country + the Russian import mark. The for me dubious (form and make) Russian import mark should make you careful - it is an "unmarked " rosé gold (?)object of simple construction and design. At least I would let it be tested at some trustworthy jeweller - if the gold content is legit.
Maybe more after you have the box in your hands....

Regards
Zolotnik
nonsequitur

Post by nonsequitur »

the metal did not react to 14k acid solution, dissolved slowly in 18k solution. I see no other marks on it.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -

Your object is from eBay, seller has 1 (one!) pos. feedback and a very phantastic story....

Good luck!

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I had hoped for some more marks, but unfortunately there seems not to be any. It might have cleared the situation. As already mentioned sometimes unmarked objects where imported to Russia by sometimes dubious dealers who had them hallmarked with Russian hallmarks. One should be careful with such objects. In addition, the mark on the respective box is not an actual "hallmark" it is only an import mark. This mark looks a bit odd to me too since it has an oval cartouche. The regular import mark has a rectangular cartouche with slightly rounded corners. Also the type/font of the figures is a bit strange too. I would think twice if I considered to buy.-----and I would leave it.

Return to “Russian Silver”