The Russian spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Zolotnik

The Russian spoons

Post by Zolotnik »

The history of the spoon

Spoons have been used as eating utensils since Paleolithic times. It is most likely that prehistoric peoples used shells or chips of wood as spoons. In fact, both the Greek and Latin words for spoon are derived from cochlea, meaning a spiral-shaped snail shell. This suggests that shells were commonly used as spoons in Southern Europe. Additionally, the Anglo-Saxon word spon, meaning a chip or splinter of wood, points toward widespread use of this material for Northern European spoons. In addition to shell and wood, spoons have also been made from metals (such as gold, silver, and pewter), ivory, bone, horn, pottery, porcelain, and crystal.

In the 1st Century CE, the Romans designed two types of spoons, similar in style to the spoons below, that ultimately had far-reaching influence. The first, a ligula, was used for soups and soft foods. It had a pointed oval bowl and a handle ending in a decorative design. The second style of spoon was called a cochleare, and it was a small spoon with a round bowl and a pointed, slender handle for eating shellfish and eggs. The earliest English spoons were likely modeled after these two types of spoons due to the Roman occupation of Britain from 43 to 410 CE.

During the Middle Ages, spoons, generally made of wood or horn were supplied by dinner hosts. Royalty often had spoons made of gold, and other wealthy families generally had silver spoons. However, beginning around the 14th Century, spoons made of tinned iron, brass, pewter, and other metals, as illustrated by the spoons below, became common. The use of pewter especially made spoons more affordable for the general.
Zolotnik

Re: The Russian spoons

Post by Zolotnik »

Here some spoons without order, just as they come:

Aleksejev/silver gilded

Kolotoschnik/Niello/silver gilded

More to come...

Regards
Zolotnik
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Different spoons for different purposes by different makers: silver, silver gilded, silver niello gilded.
asti

Post by asti »

Beautiful spoons Zolotnik, I’m impressed. Starting this topic about the Russian spoons, I think it’s better if we order them somehow after period and style, because exist a spoons evolution. They changed shape and ornaments in concordance with the times. Don’t forget the "Russian spoon from Moscow 1826" http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 46&t=24244 contradiction from where this idea started. Soon I will came back with some pictures for the first half of 18 century.

Regards,
asti
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi asti -

great idea to arrange them after period and style! Just make a grid and everybody is filling his spoons in. Please no spoons from books etc. - just spoons in posession :-)....
I have a lot of spoons - but all with out order in satchels. What will we ask for? Period, style, maker, material, date?
Looking forward real exited!

Regards
Zolotnik
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello Zolotnik and asti,

I am very interested in the evolution of spoon pattern (probably evolution is not the right word, because it suggests a continuity).
I am very interested to know, when did the fiddle pattern came to russia from the west at first and when this pattern get common and how looks the spoons from the 18th century.

Kind regards,
Ringo
asti

Post by asti »

Hi Zolotnik and Ringo

First time, I wanted to say 19th century, this are in my collection. For 18th we must to look in some books...

I propose a possible grid made from quarters of the century’s and special spoons. Anybody who have s better idea is welcome. I’m not a spoon expert and I started to collect just with my feeling. Whit the passing of time the collection has contoured, and I started to find any spoon’s place in period and style.

For the beginning, I present four spoons from the beginning of 19th century. The years are: first one between 1800 — 1820, second 1825, third 1831 and the forth 1832. All are fiddle style, the classical for this period in Russia.

And the backs

With regads,
Asti
asti

Post by asti »

The first break in the fiddle pattern. Arrow spoons appear in the second quarter of the 19th century. Personally consider them a representation of Romanticism because of the upcoming cup form of a heart and the arrow significance. This model has evolved in parallel with the fiddle and classical twisted slim handle teaspoons occurring in mid-19th century. Until the end of century, these three patterns remain the main mass manufactured in Russia. If I'm wrong please correct me.
In image are two rare spoons, made in niello technique of and gilded. Manufactured in 1844 by Nicholai Mothokov.

Dear Zolotnik, this is one exception to the cases when the maker’s mark was stroked upside down to the other marks...

Regards,
Asti
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi, Zolotnik and Asti

Good theme. Please with each spoon give a photo of punches. That it is for better understanding. For an example: Asti, your spoon â„– 4 looks very doubtfully.

Best reg..
asti

Post by asti »

Hello Dad,

The image with the numbers 2,3 and 4. Number 1 has no markings but the silver quality test give 875. Number 4 I've posted four special, the marks are atypical, just 1832 and 84. There are no maker's mark, assayer and city. The purpose of this post is to give an idea about the fiddle pattern on turn of the 19th century.

Regards,
Asti
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi asti -
Just great! Thank you very much! I am no spoon collector but when I find nothing fitting in my collection, out of frustration I buy spoons! So be nice please.....

I will show the marks though I do not like to give fakers an advantage - no makers name - start to find out for yourself :-)

St. Petersburg 1830

Moscow 1866

Kasan 1899-1905

Kostroma 1899-1905 with Austrian-Hungarian import mark!

Regards
Zolotnik
asti

Post by asti »

To break the monotony, I thought to ask a question only for experts ...
Who made ​​these spoons?

Are special Russian spoons, and it also received a name:

"The Beautiful One"

"The Ugly Duckling"

Regards,
Asti
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi asti -

the first mark I have never seen before :-), but he did not work in niello, the second is Ivanov Fedor V., a spoon maker and niello man.

Regards
Zolotnik
asti

Post by asti »

The contest is over sooner than I imagined :-)
Zolotnic you're the winner!

Let's get back to spoon "evolution" business ...
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi asti -
the winner have to polish the silver.....

Here is an interesting silver convolut for 12 persons (don´t be afraid, I show only one set). Belonging to the Baroness Agnes von Fersen from Hapsal/Estonia. They bought their silver in St. Petersburg and Reval (today Tallinn) - the pattern was in both cities available - over decades!

Spoon: 1858 St. Petersburg
Fork: 1858 Reval/Tallinn
Knife: 1830 St. Petersburg

Spoon: 1860 St. Petersburg

Regards
Zolotnik
asti

Post by asti »

Yes Zolotnik, this is a good example of simple Russian fiddle for the second half of the 19th century. I also noticed the crown engravings on them, and I want to share something from my experience about an unwritten rule. Usually every social class used a type of crown, difference being represented by the number of peaks. For the rich bourgeois families the rule was to put five, seven to noble and royal blood used nine even eleven.

Regards,
Asti
asti

Post by asti »

Next step is second quarter of the 19th century when fiddle spoons grown in size in response to the need of space for decoration. They are usually made in niello technique dominated by stylized floral and vegetal elements. Silver is partially or totally gilded, and I consider this is a reference period.

After the mid-19th century decorations become more simple with influences from Regency style.

Regards,
Asti
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi asti -

my face is lemon yellow - pure envy about your beautiful collection!!

Here are some more:

Some salt spoons

Salt and sugar

Some sugar spoons

Hi Dad and Qrt.S - where are you???

Regards
Zolotnik
asti

Post by asti »

Hi Zolotnik,

About the last three spoons from your post a correction must be made: they was used for tea leaves not for sugar. Usually sold together with the strainer and were kept in the box of tea (tea caddy) and for this reason are so short. Their name is caddy spoons and in Russia derived from classic fiddle.

Regards
Asti
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi asti -

you are completely right - I just interchanged them - my bad!

Regards
Postnikov

Return to “Russian Silver”