Napkinring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Margaux
contributor

Napkinring

Post by Margaux »

Can anyone help with the halmarks on this napkinring.

The hallmarks are on the left foot of the figurine.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Napkinring

Post by dognose »

Hi Margaux,

The image of the item is oversized and only part of it can be seen. Can you downsize the image to below 7" (18cm) width, and post that?

Regards Trev.
Margaux
contributor

Post by Margaux »

A smaller picture of the same napkinring

piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi,
The kokoshnik mark is a fake mark. Look at the number 4 in the 84 - it is the wrong shape.
The other marks are a bit too rubbed for my liking. Also, I cannot find the OP mark anywhere.

Fake kokoshnik + КФ + Unknown mark = Very suspicious.

Regards,
Piette
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Margaux -

the shown marks are pseudo marks which should suggest to the unknowing buyer the following:

Imperial Russian Kokoshnik 1908 -17 (26),Townmark Moscow (Greek Delta), 84 Zolotniki = silver content 875, workshop Karl Fabergé (КФ), master Oskar Pihl (OP)
All this marks are in one way or another wrong!
The whole object is of contemporary manufacture (fake). The drunkard with the bottle is often seen as bottlestopper or dancer etc. or on faked judaica.

Regards
Postnikov
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi Postnikov,
Is OP for Oskar Pihl in P-L? I couldn't find it.
Regards,
Piette
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Margaux -

forget to post similar figurines from the same faker workshop...

Regards
Postnikov
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Please do not take me wrong again. This is about the quality of figures discussed here.
Even if all hallmarks were OK (and they are not) the craftsmanship of the fakes is poor. I would look at it first, then the hallmarks. I have no silver figure to offer as an example, but this Vienna bronze electric bell (about 1900) shows the details of supreme quality and it is a miniature piece — only about 7cm high. The push button is the stem in front. I am sure you have silver figures of the same minute details to compare, so excuse this off topic example.
Not off topic is Oskar Pihl (I).Faberge lent him 2000 rubles to open the workshop at Bolshoi Kiselnyi No 4 in Moscow.He manufactured jewellery until his death in 1907.As far as I know he made jewellrey only. His son, also Oskar Pihl was born in 1891 and could not possibly make silver as a boy.
But if you have an ``OP``tool for hallmarking fake jewellrey, why not use it on silver to make profit ?

Ivan
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

As already stated Knut Oskar Phil (1860-1897) became master in 1887 and marked in Latin letters OP in an oval cartouch. In his workshop was mainly made jewelery but also some small art objects. The production was sold in Fabergés shop in Kuznetski most 4 in Moscow. Oskar married August Holmström's daughter Fanny Florentina (1869-1949) in 1887 and they had 5 children of which one of them became very famous. She was Alma Theresa Phil (1888-1976) who designed the famous Winter egg.

But back to the napkin. As stated it is has spurious marks. It has the mark OP and a suspicious right looking kokoshnik 1908-1927. Please note that Oskar had died already in 1897. In addition the quality of the workmanship regarding the napkin is not even close to Fabergé quality.

Piette! Oscar Phil is not mentioned in Postnikova as many others aren't either.
FYI!
If somebody has A.I.Ivanov's books, please make a correction regarding the mark #3299. It is stated that Knut Oskar Phil (1860-1897) was named Oscar Gustavovich Pill and marked in Cyrillic ОП. That is not the case. The correction is: His name was Knut Oskar Pihl and he marked OP with Latin letters only. However, in Russia he might have used the patronymic name Gustavovitsh according to local habits. He father's name was Gustaf.

Have a nice day

Qrt.S

Return to “Russian Silver”