Help to understand these marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
alpom

Help to understand these marks

Post by alpom »

Please help to understand these marks. The eagle looks to me more Polish than Russian, but i can be wrong. Also, what means this I. M. P.?

alpom

Re: Help to understand these marks

Post by alpom »

alpom

Post by alpom »

No one? :(
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Two days!

Patience is a virtue!

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

If it is supposed to be a Russian made object, the marking is incomplete and conflicting. 84 is supposed to express silver fineness in Russian zolotniks. That would be 875/1000 but "sterling" is something else (925). To put it nicely a dubious object....Hopefully you didn't buy it!
alpom

Post by alpom »

Qrt.S wrote:If it is supposed to be a Russian made object, the marking is incomplete and conflicting. 84 is supposed to express silver fineness in Russian zolotniks. That would be 875/1000 but "sterling" is something else (925). To put it nicely a dubious object....Hopefully you didn't buy it!
I did buy it but for price that if this is silver is still worth it. Is there a way to check if this is rally silver at home?

Thank you
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unless there is electronic tester available, acid test is reliable on condition you file deep enough where it cannot be seen (at the bottom rim for example). Then wipe to remove metal dust and apply a drop of acid. If it turns blood red colour, it is sterling or a bit lower. After all, it is not a museum piece and not much harm can be done. Acid test is reliable only if filed deep enough; otherwise you will get false positive result from the reaction of silver used for silver-plating
Regards.

Return to “Russian Silver”