Trying to identify worn Russian Silver Makers on Enamelled Fork possibly AF, Riga??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
LucyADe

Trying to identify worn Russian Silver Makers on Enamelled Fork possibly AF, Riga??

Post by LucyADe »

Hi all,
I have a beautiful enamelled Russian silver fork. About 11cm (4.1/4”) long. I think it’s AP in Latin or AF in cryllic, with Riga assay, but as you can see it’s very worn. Possible date of 1865? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Trying to identify worn Russian Silver Makers on Enamelled Fork possibly AF, Riga??

Post by Qrt.S »

In my eyes it looks like AP (Latin AR) that could be Aleksandr Romanov in Moscow. Also the town mark looks like riding St. George. Anyway, what is and where is the maker's mark? It could give more information. A Russian made object cannot be assayed unless it carries a maker's mark. But....??? Show the maker's mark too, thank you.
Aguest
contributor

Re: Trying to identify worn Russian Silver Makers on Enamelled Fork possibly AF, Riga??

Post by Aguest »

::::: Along the ridges right before the Assay Master/Date Mark there might be something incompletely struck. :::: If that is not the maker's mark, then perhaps there was a maker's mark struck next to the St. George mark that has been almost completely obliterated such that it cannot be deciphered. ::::: Only the person with the object in hand would be able to tell which option is correct because the pictures are just not going to pick up the level of detail, it's too inconclusive with pics. :::::

::::: I think there is a maker's mark in one of those positions but it's just too inconclusive given the limitations of digital cameras & the way images are constructed with pixels :::::
LucyADe

Post by LucyADe »

Thank you both so much for your assistance. Unfortunately, I was not notified about your responses as I usually am.
There is a mark next to the assay office/date stamp on the collar, but I honestly cannot make anything out.
Thank you again in your assistance and sorry for my delay in responding.
Lucy

Return to “Russian Silver”