sterling spoon handmade? with "L" hallmark

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
donboy

sterling spoon handmade? with "L" hallmark

Post by donboy »

This spoon possibly handmade is 9" long only hallmark is "L" STERLING Does anyone know who made this?
donboy

Re: sterling spoon handmade? with "L" hallmark

Post by donboy »

Here are 2 photos of spoon

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/00313q.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
donboy

Post by donboy »

donboy wrote:Here are 2 photos of spoon

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/00313q.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe I found my answer! Sylvanus E. Lamprey spoon maker Boston 1909-1912, I read he marked with STERLING L but still can not verify. I have posted 2 photos of 9" handmade spoon, any help appreciated donboy
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Have never seen a piece attributed to Lamprey other than when he was a craftsman for Arthur Stone from 1909-12; his mark there was a simple serifed "L", stamped in addition to the Stone mark. While your spoon resembles Stone's 'Pointed End' pattern, it's a classic handle design.....

~Cheryl
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Sorry - should have be 'Lamphrey'.

~Cheryl
silverly

Post by silverly »

I find this gentleman, Sylvanus E Lamprey, listed as an apprentice silversmith in Concord, NH in 1880, and later census's and directories in Massachusetts from the 1890's to 1924 as a silversmith.

I think that it is interesting to note that in 1928 he is listed as a spoon maker in Taunton, Massachusetts which judging by his later listings was nearing the time of his retirement.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The making of hand-wrought silver is the revival of an art that was almost lost sight of until a few years ago, since which time there has been a continual branching out. The rather “crude hammered” pieces which marked the early stages of craft in this direction have been replaced by masterly creations in its most varied forms. S. E. Lamprey, with his thirty-five years' experience, makes a complete line for the table in original design and also executes suggested ideas. Specialty is made of matching old pieces.

Source: An Illustrated Annual of Works by American Artists & Craft Workers - Artists Guild Galleries - Chicago - 1916

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Is this spoon attributed correctly to one of Arthur Stone's silversmiths? Interesting....

I am having issues trying to view the spoon....

Return to “Arts & Crafts Smiths ~ American Handwrought after-1900”