"Diamond Geezers and Gold Dealers" ITV 1 - 24-7-2014

dognose
Site Admin

"Diamond Geezers and Gold Dealers" ITV 1 - 24-7-2014

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Short notice, but tomorrow evening ITV 1 will be screening a one-off documentary on the British jewellery trade:

"Diamond Geezers and Gold Dealers" ITV 1, Thursday 24 July at 9pm

Watch this one-off documentary taking an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the unique world of Hatton Garden. This programme follows some of the local tradespeople as they go about their daily business, including bespoke jewellery maker Michael Lynton, who has been practicing his craft for 40 years and has worked for some of the best jewellery houses in the country, glamorous 25-year-old Leigh Stutman, who works in precious metal reclamation, sole trader Steve Kirby, who makes a living buying and selling gold, and security guard Chris Eracleous, who has commissioned a diamond ring from new jewellery maker Karl Karter and plans to propose to his girlfriend of four years. You may even catch a glimpse of the assay office!

Source: The Leopard - 23rd July 2014

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: "Diamond Geezers and Gold Dealers" ITV 1 - 24-7-2014

Post by dognose »

If, like me (head like a sieve!), you missed this documentary, it is repeated on ITV on Tuesday 29th July at 10-40pm.

Trev.
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

I did watch it and wanted to thank you Trev for alerting us to it being aired. Certainly interesting, I will not say any more, as you have not seen it yet.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Well over three months later, I finally got around to watching this programme. Although very interesting in its content and enjoyable to watch, I'm always amazed at how little the information contained within the marks on an item is used by some dealers beyond the basic metal standards detail that they provide.

It is of no surprise that work of some of the great artists just ends up in the melting pot because the current possessor of the piece can see no further than the items bullion value.

Trev.
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

I have to agree with you. I hate it when I hear people just talking items are only worth scrap value.

A lot can depend on who made an item, the era, what the item is, on the real value.

There is a guy round here, who scraps everything he gets his hands on, including Georgian silver, which annoys the hell out of me, as it is English history that is being destroyed in the melting pot.

Return to “Website Updates & Announcements”