Oskar Zurell (silverport) In Memoriam

Theoderich
contributor

Oskar Zurell (silverport) In Memoriam

Post by Theoderich »

In deep grief I received today the news that our friend Oskar Zurell (silver port) has left us forever.
He died on 21th October in 2013 at his home in Tunes/Portugal.
Here in the forum, he helped to expand our knowledge of cutlery manufacturer and silversmiths. He answered at our questions and tried to solve various puzzles. Until recently he was a passionate researcher. He helped me with his advice and supported the Rosenberg IV-project giving information about literature and other researchers.He solved many difficult puzzles. For instance I learned with his help a lot about the Conzessionists of Hamburg and the development of industrial production of silverware in the 19th Century.
So I can say that I lost with Oskar a good friend and my thoughts and sympathies are now with his family and friends.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Oskar Zurell (silverport) In Memoriam

Post by dognose »

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I had been in regular contact with Oskar until about two months ago when suddenly the emails dried up, and I feared the worst.

Many times I've answered questions on the forum with the line 'a friend informs me', well that friend was Oskar. He was a source of so much reliable, well researched information. We have lost a brilliant mind.

I will remember him with great fondness.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Trev.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Deepest sympathies to Oskar's family and friends. Despite his failing health, he was a dedicated researcher, always willing to share his knowledge - and a kind gentleman too. May his soul rest in peace...

~Cheryl
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

A real loss for all. My deepest sympathies to his family.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

We have also been in private contact. Never meet, but exchanged information and also learned a bit more of the person behind the name.
So sad to hear the bad news. My symphaty to the Family.
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

My condolences to his family, he has helped me out a few times with very difficult silver identifications and was always pleasant and accurate with his knowledge, he will be missed. As Trev stated a loss of a great mind.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Oskar Zurell, a linguist with great knowledge of the history of Europe, knowledge Oskar kindly shared with me in Dutch written letters; how he and his family survived the 2nd world war, about his friendship with the Dutch silversmith Carel Begeer, how Oskar worked a few years in the Netherlands and designed the Dutch ANWB Praatpaal, and sadly about the discomforts and restrictions due to his chronic condition.
Oskar Zurell a man of principle with a complicated beautiful brilliant mind has left us, may he rest in peace.

Peter van Oel
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

It started with his phone call twenty years ago. His health was delicate to say the least and he was desperately searching for a very rare pharmaceutical drug he needed to stay alive. An allergic reaction had caused a complete failure of his lungs and heart and he had barely survided that. He overestimated my connections and though I was not able to get him the stuff we stayed in touch after that.

He had worked as a designer for the German aircraft industry and his interest in German art nouveau design had started him assembling a huge collection of objects. Being the VERY meticulous guy he was he not only collected the objects, but also every bit of information he could get on makers, designers, companies, marks etc.. This resulted in another vast collection of trade catalogues, periodicals and other materials on the subject. Expending the scope of his interest led him to include objects from other European countries.

He freely shared his enthusiasm and knowledge (a streak not found in all collectors ...). He was one of the first to go through the vast WMF archives to find bits of information hitherto ignored and unrecorded and he was the first to share it if one just asked.

He was a guy of subtle (German) humor and a fine sense of irony, which rarely left him (though it happened). Those pics he sent via EMail of the delicate flowers just blossoming in his back yard in southern Europe while the weather in Berlin still had an almost Siberian quality... Those pieces of Spanish and Portugese bacon he sent so that the northern territories during winter also could profit from southern food.

It must have been his keen interest in people, collectors and collecting, foreign languages etc. that kept him going all those years. Though we exchanged quite a lot of - sometimes very personal - info over the years we never managed to actually meet in person, modern communication helping to bridge the geographical gap. And we always stuck to the respectful way of adressing each other as "Herr".

Herr Zurell, we miss You.
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Oskar and me were in contact since 4 years. I knew and admired him not only as an expert for silver marks and design but also for his knowledge about the cultural-historical and industrial-historical circumstances and relationships. I will miss him as a helpful friend.

Ringo
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I am shocked. I cannot believe that I have missed this thread. My deepest condolences to the family
I just asked Oel why Oskar is not answering my mails and he gave me this link. I was in personal contact with Oskar for a couple of years even if I never got the opportunity to meet him, what a pity.
Rest In Peace Oskar
Regards
Qrt.S
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

I lost a friend!
RIP Oskar - you will be sorely missed!

Zolotnik

Return to “Website Updates & Announcements”