William Simms (b.1793,d,1860) was granted his Freedom by the Goldsmiths' Company in 1815. He was recorded as an Optician, Mathematical Instrument Maker, and Mariner's Compass Maker. He served his apprenticeship under Thomas Penstone (likely the Thomas Penstone mentioned in Grimwade p. 619) in 1808, but was turned over to his father, also named William Simms, in 1809.
He was recorded at the following addresses:
1, Bowman's Buildings, Aldersgate Street, London. 1821-1826
136, Fleet Street, London (as Troughton & Simms) 1826-1843
138, Fleet Street, London (as Troughton & Simms) 1843-1846 (also in 1843, 2 & 4, Peterborough Court, Fleet Street, which adjoined the rear of 138, Fleet Street.)
He took the following apprentices:
Alfred Septimus Simms (his brother) - 1821
John William Nutting - 1825
William Henry Simms (his son) - 1834
James Simms (his son) - 1843
Joseph Beck - 1846
The business of Troughton & Simms was continued by his son James, and a nephew also named William.
William Simms was a Fellow of the Royal Society (1852), and a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society (1831). He exhibited at the Great Exhibition at London in 1851 under his own name. He resided at Brambleshaw, Carshalton, Surrey from 1851, until his death in 1860. William Simms is buried at Norwood Cemetery, London.
Obituary of Edward Troughton can be found here: http://adsabs.harvard.edu//full/seri/MN ... 9.000.html
Obituary of William Simms (II) can be found here: http://adsabs.harvard.edu//full/seri/MN ... 7.000.html