Charles Frederick Hancock (Partner)
Charles Mugoeridge (Chaser)
Thomas Nicholls (Chaser)
Charles Fines (Chaser)
Joseph Headford (Apprentice)
William Frampton (Apprentice)
....... Rothing
....... Day
John Dixon* (Watchman) *Possibly John Dixon Metcalfe, Clerk to 'Storr and Mortimer'.

Chawner and Adams as at December 1864
William Blakeway (Clerk)

Godbehere & Co. (Grimwade 2515-8) as at September 1817
James Stevens (Shopman)
It would appear that Edward Wigan had already left the firm at this time, although it was another year before Samuel Godbehere and James Bult entered a new mark.

R & S Garrard & Co. as at May 1840
Thomas Atkins
Edward Wallis
It was quoted that at this time Garrard's were employing eighty workers.

John Lias and Co. (Grimwade 1495) as at October 1838
John Lias (Partner)
Henry John Lias (Partner)
Richard Varley (Clerk and Traveller)

John Carter.(Grimwade 1214-5) as at April 1771
David M'Lane (Polisher)
Joseph Price (Apprentice)
........ Scoffield (Clerk)
John Carter was a known supplier of candlesticks to Parker & Wakelin.

A. B. Savory & Sons. as at May 1863
Charles Fitchenor (Clerk)

Joseph & Albert Savory. (Grimwade 1853) as at November 1837
John Robinson (Shopman)
Samuel George Bailey (Porter)

Trev.
(Source Old Bailey Court Records)
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

John Langlands (Jackson p.500) at c.1760
Thomas Blackett (Foreman)

Thomas Blackett was a Freeman of the City of Newcastle He is described by Thomas Bewick in his Memoir as 'This man, who was one of my Godfathers, had been foreman to the late John Langlands where he was much noticed as a man of most intrepid spirit and rendered remarkable for his honour, honesty and punctuality.

John Kirkup (Jackson p.500) at c. 1767
Robert Pollard (Apprentice)

Thomas Bewick had this say of Robert Pollard 'Apprentice to John Kirkup, a silversmith, in Newcastle, and from his being frequently sent to our work place with Crests, Cyphers etc. to engrave, he took a great liking to engraving and was indefatigable in his endeavours to become master of it - in furtherance of this, - on his master Kirkup's declining business, my young friend was engaged for a term of years, to learn Engraving with Isaac Taylor of Holborn, London.

Trev.
(Source - Memoir by Thomas Bewick)
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

William Cartlidge (Grimwade 3067-8) as at December 1809
Thomas Bryan (Apprentice)

William Watkins (Grimwade 518, 2739, 3374, 3857, 3910) as at November 1764
William Davenport (Clerk)
William Watkins it would appear was a prolific maker, as during this trial, Davenport was arrested with seventy eight spoons in his possession belonging to Watkins who was unaware of the loss.
Grimwade records that Watkins had been elected to the Livery the previous year but within seven months of the trial he had resigned, presumably through ill health or poverty.

William Chawner II (Grimwade 3069-70, 3114, 3868) as at December 1829
Henry Chandler

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Charles Frederick Day (Grimwade 296A, 986) as at November 1827
Joseph Burt*

*This is almost certainly Joseph Josiah Burtt (Grimwade 1784) who entered his mark as a spoonmaker on 3rd April 1828, four months after appearing at the Old Bailey accused of theft from his Master, Charles Day. He was found not guilty.
At this trial, Day describes himself as an 'out-door workman' to a Mr Henly**. This term would have otherwise been known as that of 'Little Master', for explanation see Silver Glossary

**Could this be Robert Hennell II (Grimwade 1040, 2332)?

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hunt & Roskell as at February 1847
John Samuel Hunt (Partner)
John Hunt (Partner)
Robert Roskell (Partner)
Charles Frederick Hancock (Partner)*
John Harker (Principal Assistant)
Charles Munday
James Greenham
Joseph Wrangle

*Resigned as Partner in January 1849 to start up his own company 'Hancock & Co'. He was granted a Royal Warrant within his first year of business.

Hunt & Roskell as at February 1849
John Hunt (Partner)
Robert Roskell (Partner)
William Henry Nash (Assistant to Partners)
Joseph Wrangle
John Newby (Porter)*

*John Newby was a dressing case maker. As is often the case, apparently humble positions in the world of gold and silversmiths were often filled by tradesmen, e.g. to be a Weigher at Goldsmith's Hall, it was a requirement that the job was done by a qualified silversmith.

Hunt & Roskell as at November 1859
John Hunt (Partner)
Robert Roskell (Partner)
William Henry Nash (Assistant to Partners)
John Morris (Assistant)
...... Stafford (Assistant)

It is quoted that at this time Hunt & Roskell employed 20 to 30 assistants.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Daniel Pontifex (Grimwade 494, 3128) as at November 1801
Samuel Carr (Kerr?)

Samuel Carr was employed as a Journeyman by Pontifex for just under five years, his wage was twenty six shillings a week.

William Eaton (Grimwade 3105-6) as at October 1838
Henry Chandler*
William Russell
Francis Fether
John Smith (Porter)

*It would appear that this is the same Henry Chandler that was working previously for William Chawner II. At this trial he states that he has been working for William Eaton for fifthteen months and had been dismissed from a previous position some two and a half years ago (presumably with William Chawner) following an accusation of theft from a work colleague. He also states that he had been in one position seventeen years.
There may well be doubt about this accusation regarding Chandler's honesty as there appears to be a connection between William Eaton and the firm of Eley, Fearn and Chawner and I am sure Eaton would not have employed Chandler if he had any doubts about him.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

P.Orr & Sons (Madras) as at July 1888
Dhamalingam Asari (Engraver)

Dhamalingam Asari served a full apprenticeship with P.Orr & Sons and was also responsible for the engraving the plates for some of the early issues of Indian postage stamps.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

John Elliot (Grimwade p.365) as at June 1800
Edward Fogharty (Polisher)
James Ellis (Apprentice)
Gustavus M'Killigan (Errand Boy)

John Elliot (Grimwade p.365) as at July 1800
Thomas Sheldon (Foreman)
William Thorold
William Pybus
James Ellis (Apprentice)
William Moore (Apprentice)
Thomas Allen (Apprentice)
Gustavus M'Killigan (Errand Boy)

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Peter, Ann and William Bateman (Grimwade 2140) as at December 1801
Peter Bateman (Partner)
Ann Bateman (Partner)
William Bateman (Partner)
Richard Labrum (Foreman)
Samuel Cooper*

*Samuel Cooper had to date, worked for the Batemans' for about ten years. He started at the age of sixteen as errand-boy, served a seven year apprenticeship and was then employed as a journeyman. I January 1802 he was found guilty at the Old Bailey of stealing one ounce of silver. For this he received twelve months in the House of Correction.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

John Lias & Son as at December 1843
Henry John Lias (Proprietor)
William Bateman (Clerk)
Henry Sturges (Silver spoon finer and polisher)*
William Edmonds (Plate polisher)

This was a simple case of a suspected theft of 15 Pennyweights of silver by William Edmonds, to which he was found not guilty.

When I first read this account of the trial I was amused by the name of the clerk, William Bateman, what a coincidence, same name, same trade, but upon further research I found that it was no coincidence. This is I believe William Bateman II, now in reduced circumstances.
William Bateman II was apprenticed to his father, William Bateman I in 1815, Free in 1822, entered his first mark alone in 1827 and was elected to the Livery in 1829. In 1839 he took control of the family business and immediately entered into a partnership with Daniel Ball; the business now known as Bateman & Ball. The output of this partnership was almost exclusively for Rundell, Bridge & Co., but the business floundered and the partnership dissolved with what was left of this once great firm being sold to Benjamin Carr (a horse hair manfacturer!). The date of the dissolution was 11th April 1843 and just days after (WB II states at the trial that he started in this position in May 1843) William Bateman II appears to have taken up the humble positon of clerk at John Lias & Son.
The above may seem strange to some people, as at this time his father, William Bateman I, although having ceased being an active silversmith (he went into the gas business in 1821) was still a very rich and powerful man. He had been elected Prime Warden of the Goldsmiths Company in 1836, but his relationship with his son was very poor for years, especially after WB II married beneath his station to Elizabeth Parratt, a serving girl.

Another small point noted from this trial is that William Bateman states that the firm John Lias & Son is wholly owned by Henry John Lias. John Lias (Henry John's father) had been a signatory when makers' marks were entered at Goldsmiths Hall on the 13th February 1843, so had presumably retired or died sometime between this date and May 1843.

Trev.

* Also see later entry in this topic for further details of Henry Sturges.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Joseph Angel (Grimwade 1769,1772) as at March 1820
Richard James Beckley (Grimwade 2351)
John Prickett

This is an update on a previous post.
In April 1820 Beckley and Prickett appeared at seperate trials at the Old Bailey, both accused of theft from their Master, Joseph Angel. They were both found guilty and sentenced to Transportation for seven years.
There is doubt, especially with Beckley, that this sentence was carried out.
At the time of the trial, Beckley was 22 years old and Prickett, 24 years old. Beckley entered into apprenticeship with Angel on 7th November 1810 and continued as a journeyman with his Freedom unrecorded, until his arrest in March 1820. However he entered his first mark alone, as a Plateworker on 18th February 1825.
It is also interesting to note, that at the time Beckley started his apprenticeship, Joseph Angel had yet to enter his first mark, which he did not do until 7th October 1811, presumably his output was entirely for others since he gained his Freedom in 1804.

John Prickett had worked as a journeyman to Joseph Angel for 18 months at the time of his arrest, he had previously been in the employ of a silversmith called Socket, of Camberwell, to whom he had served his apprenticeship, and upon his Freedom became journeyman to, in April 1818. His employment had ceased following the death of Socket shortly after this date.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Paul de Lamerie (Grimwade 1892, 2203-4) as at February 1748*
Isaac Giles (Clerk)

At a trial at the Old Bailey, Isaac Giles, who appeared as a witness, stated that he had been the bookmaker to Paul de Lamerie for twenty years.

Paul de Lamerie (Grimwade 1892, 2203-4) as at May 1750**
Frederick Knopfell (Journeyman)
Samuel Collins (Journeyman)

Trev.
*(Source Old Bailey Court Records)
**(Source A G Grimwade, London Goldsmiths 1697-1837)

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thomas Dicks (Grimwade 2731,2738) as at c.1798-9
William Harman
James Hadfield*

*James Hadfield or Hatfield (b.1771-2 d.23 January 1841) attempted to assassinate George III in 1800 but was acquitted of attempted murder by reason of insanity.

646. Proceedings on the Trial of James Hadfield, at the Bar of the Court of King's Bench, for High Treason, June 26 : 40 George III. A. D. 1800.

Court Of King's Bench June 16th 1800

Extact from the transcript of the trial.

William Harman sworn. Examined by Mr. Law.

What art you ? A silver-spoon maker.
Are you journeyman to Mr. Dicks? Yes.
How long have you known the prisoner at the bar? I have known him seven years.
Did the prisoner at the bar call upon you at any lime on Thursday the 15th of May ? Yes, about two o'clock.
At what place did he call upon you? At Mr. Dicks's shop, in Greenhill's Rents, near Smithfield.
Did he at that time show you any thing ? He showed me a pistol ; he said be had been buying a pair.
Did you ask him any question, upon his telling you he had bought those pistols ? I asked him what he bought them for ? He said he bought them for his young master, and gave eight shillings for them ; that he meant to charge his young master twelve shillings, after he had cleaned them up, and then be should get four shillings by them.
Did he leave either of his pistols with you or at the place where he was ? Yes, he left one.
Did he give any reason for leaving that one pistol with you ? He said, if he took it home, his wife would be frightened.
At the time when he called upon you, produced this pistol, and had this conversation with you about leaving the pistol for fear his wife should be frightened, did he appear to you to be collected, and to understand what he was about? Yes.
Was his appearance the appearance he usually bore, or was there any thing different from his usual manner on that occasion ? No, he seemed as well as ever he did in his life.

Thomas Dicks sworn. Examined by Mr.Garrow.

I believe you carry on the business of a silver spoon-maker? Yes.
Was the young man who has just left the Court, William Harman, a journeyman of your's? Yes.
Do you know the Prisoner at the bar, James Hadfield? Yes.
Did he, at any time, work for you as a journeyman in your business? About a year and a half ago.
How long did he work for you? About three weeks.
At one time ? Yes.
Did he execute his business like other journeymen in the same trade? Yes.
Have you, since he ceased to work for you, occasionally seen him upon visits to his shop-mates, and upon other occasions? I have met him in the streets several times.
Do you remember seeing him at your house On Thursday the 15th of May last? Yes.
About what time of the day? Somewhere about two, or after two o'clock, in the afternoon.
Whom did you see him in company with, and what was his business there? He called to see Harman.
Did you see anything in the possession of the prisoner at that time? Yes; when I shoved the shop door open, I saw him sitting on a stool in the shop; he said to me, " How do you do, master?" and he said he had bought a bargain; that he had given eight shillings for a pair of pistols. He asked me what I thought they were worth? I said, I did not think they were worth four. I went out of the shop then, and went down stairs, and he went out to get some beer, to treat the young men with some beer ; he laid the pistol down, and then went away.
Lord Kenyan. One of the pistols? He had only one.
Mr. Garrow. He had been some time with Harman before you went in ? Yes ; the pistol lay there ; I told him to take the pistol with him ; he said, " No, I shall not go to work this afternoon ; I shall go home and clean myself." I told him to take the pistol with him; he said he should frighten his wife with the pistol if he took it, and he would leave it till he came back again ; he called again for it, put it into his pocket, and took it away, and I saw no more of him.
How long was he absent? About twenty minutes; time enough to clean himself.
Had he cleaned himself before he returned last? Yes; he was clean when he came and fetched his pistol away.
He was in his working dress when you saw him first ? Yes.
He went away, and returned in twenty minutes clean, and then took away the pistol? Yes.
During the whole of the time that you saw him upon that Thursday the 15th of May, from his manner, from anything that he said, from anything you gathered in his conversation, did you observe anything extraordinary in his manner, or was it the manner of a sane man, knowing perfectly what he was doing ? He seemed more solider than ever I saw him before; I thought he seemed duller, not so cheerful in spirits ; that was all the notice I took of him.
Was there anything disjointed in his conversation, anything out of its place? No.
Any thing that gave you an idea that there was any thing the matter with his head ? No, not that gave me any idea of that, he seemed lower in spirits I thought than I had usually seen him before.
Cast your eye upon that pistol ; was it a pistol of that sort? I think this was the pistol.
A Juryman. Did you see only one pistol, or a pair ? Only one.
Mr. Garrow. He produced only one to Harman, but mentioned two.

Source: A Complete Collection of State Trials and Proceedings for High Treason and Other Crimes and Misdemeanors from the Earliest Period to the Year 1783, with Notes and Other Illustrations
By Thomas Bayly Howell
Compiled by Thomas Bayly Howell
Published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, 1820
Item notes: v. 27 (1798-1800)

London Goldsmiths-1697-1837-Their Marks & Lives.--Arthur G. Grimwade

For the full transcript of the trial go to:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=P0MC ... s+hadfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For further information go to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hadfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
Last edited by dognose on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Solomon Hougham (Grimwade 2536, 2548) as at May 1800
James Hadfield

See above post.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Samuel Goodbehere* & Edward Wigan (Grimwade 2516) c.1788
..........Parker (Foreman?)
Thomas Preston (Errand Boy)

Source: The Life and Opinions of Thomas Preston.
Published by the Author, 1817.

*In every period reference I've found, and there are many of them due to the fame of the man, he was among many things, the Sheriff of London, that is second only to the Lord Mayor, the spelling is always Goodbehere and not Godbehere.

Link to a billhead of Goodbehere, Wigan & Co.:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... _id=400284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
Last edited by dognose on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

George Turner (Jackson p.305) Exeter as at July 1818
Giles Tozer (position unknown)

Giles Tozer died in early August 1818. His death was a result of his attempt to rescue three men who had been overcome by fumes during the construction of a sewer in Exeter.

Source: The Annual Register.
Edited by Edmund Burke, 1819.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

William Eley (II) (Grimwade 3102, 3109, 3110, 3113) as at c.1824
John Cutmore* (Superintendent of Works),(Grimwade 1796)
James Littler Barritt** (Die Sinker)
James Price*** (Position Unknown)

*John Cutmore was Superintendent of William Eley's works until 1829 when in appears he went into partnership with Thomas Cutmore and took over William Eley's premises at 3, Lovell's Court. Following this enterprise he was to become Superintendent at the manufactory of Bateman & Ball, a position he held for fourteen years.

** James Littler Barritt served an apprenticeship with Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. He was later to become a partner of William Eley(II) in a business embossing leather bookcovers. (See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

*** James Price had been a servant to the Eleys for most of his life and may have performed many roles. He was employed first by William Eley (I), and then William Eley (II). In 1841 he told the inquest into the death of William Eley (II) that he had worked for William (II) and his father for a period of thirty-four years. In the 1851 Census, William Thomas Eley (Son of Wiliam Eley (II)) is recorded as living at 38, Broad Street, where he had a seventy-four year old servant named James Price.

Source:
Eley Cartridges, A History of the Silversmiths And Ammunition Manufacturers by C.W. Harding.

Nineteenth Century Silver by John Culme.

London Goldsmiths 1697-1837 Their Marks & Lives by Arthur G. Grimwade.

Trev.
Last edited by dognose on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

William Robert Smily as at July 1852
Thomas Smily (Clerk)
William Booth
Robert Crisp (Wedding Ring Keeper Maker)

William Robert Smily died in 1858 aged 34, upon his death the business was taken over by his brother Thomas Smily.

Source: Old Bailey Court Records

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Samuel Hayne & Dudley Cater (Grimwade 2546) as at October 1838
Lewis Theophilus Bell
Joseph West

Source: Old Bailey Court Records

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin