Information Regarding C.F. Hancock (Hancocks & Co.)

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Information Regarding C.F. Hancock (Hancocks & Co.)

Post by dognose »

Information Regarding Charles Frederick Hancock (Hancocks & Co.)

A topic for recording information regarding Charles Frederick Hancock and Hancock & Co.

If you have any details of the above individual or company, advertisements, examples of their work, etc., anything that you are willing to share, then here's the place to post it.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Information Regarding C.F. Hancock

Post by dognose »

Charles Frederick Hancock was born in Birmingham in November 1807, the son of Charles and Sophia Hancock. He was baptised the same month at St. Phillip’s Church, Birmingham.

His father, Charles Hancock (Jackson p.366) was a silversmith who had entered his mark at the Birmingham Assay Office on the 15th June 1808. His address was given as New Street, Birmingham.

Charles Frederick Hancock married Maria Jane Edington c.1840. Maria was the daughter of John James and Jane Ann Edington. She was baptised at St. Pancras, Old Church, London on 3rd May 1822. John James Edington was a goldworker and jeweller (Grimwade p.365, 372), he had entered his first mark alone at Goldsmiths’ Hall on 16th June 1820. He was formerly apprenticed to Stephen Gaubert in 1811, and was also in partnership with his father, John Edington (Grimwade 1274-5, 1805), their address given as 10, Portland Street, Soho Square. The Edington’s business was quite substantial and it may be possible that Maria carried with her a large dowry. If so, this could well explain how he was able to acquire a partnership into one of, if not the, most important goldsmiths in London.

He was to go on to be one of London’s most celebrated silversmiths and jewellers.

Following the retirement of John Mortimer in December 1843 from the firm of Mortimer and Hunt, the successors to Storr and Mortimer, a new company was formed, to be known as Hunt and Roskell. The directors were John Samuel Hunt (Paul Storr’s nephew by marriage); his son, John Hunt; the Liverpool clock and watchmaker, Robert Roskell Junior and Charles Frederick Hancock. They opened new premises at 156, New Bond Street and continued to use Paul Storr’s old workshops as their manufactory at 26, Harrison Street, off Gray’s Inn Road.

The partnership, however, was fairly short lived. In January 1849 CFH left Hunt and Roskell and opened his own business at 39, Bruton Street on the corner of Bond Street, with a manufactory at Little Bruton Street. He entered his first mark at Goldsmiths’ Hall on 11th April 1850.

He made an immediate impact on the London jewellery trade and just eight months later on 13th August 1849 he was awarded the Royal Warrant of appointment from Queen Victoria and was extensively patronised by the nobility of Europe due to the superior quality of his merchandise.

1851 saw the Great Exhibition in London and Hancocks produced displays that rivalled all their competitors including Garrards, Hunt and Roskell, and Harry Emmanuel.

Hancocks were awarded the highest prize, a Council Medal. The Jury for Class 23 noted that “The whole of Mr Hancock’s exhibition shows an accurate knowledge of the silversmiths’ craft, and of the resources which art can apply to this branch of industry when it is properly brought to bear on it”.

But it was at the International Exhibition of 1862 that Hancocks displayed one of the finest sets of jewels ever seen. It was a parure of eighty-eight intaglios and cameos that became known as the Devonshire Gems. It consists of seven items in all, the most impressive being the huge stomacher. Hancocks had been commissioned to design and manufacture this amazing set by Sir Joseph Paxton and they were worn by the Countess of Granville at the coronation of Tsar Alexander II in 1855.

This was followed by further successes at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867 and at the Vienna Exhibition of 1873 where Hancocks was awarded, ‘solely’, the Emperor's gold medal for Science and Art in addition to the Prize Medal.

On the 1st February 1854 Charles Frederick Hancock obtained his Freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company by Redemption and was raised to the Livery in June 1864.

He had by 1862 increased the size of his showrooms by the acquisition of 38, Bruton Street and also 152, New Bond Street.

For the design of his silverware, CFH engaged the services of some of the finest modellers and sculptors of the 19th century, including Louis Freret, Baron Charles Marochetti, H. McCarthy, Eugene Lamy, Marshall Wood, Raffaele Monti, Henry Hugh Armstead RA, E. T. Parris and Charles Bell Birch ARA.

They were also particularly noted for their fine race cups given as prizes at Goodwood, Epsom, Ascot and others.

His approach to business was always on a personal level. He made at least two trips to Russia to see the Tsar and was court jeweller to Napoleon III of France, a friend of William Gladstone and a close friend of Benjamin Disraeli, who it is thought, used CFH in his novel ‘Lothair’, published in 1870, as the model for the jeweller ‘Mr Ruby’. But the day to day affairs of running his business were still of concern to him. An example of this was the attention he paid to the dubious claims of one of his rivals. Edwin William Streeter, a former manager of Harry Emmanuel, was a colourful character, he had left his former employer in 1866 and taken up a position, as manager, with another jeweller, Hancock, Burbrook & Co. Ltd. A partnership of one Francis William Hancock and Richard Burbrook, within a year Streeter had taken over this company and was styling himself as ‘Edwin W. Streeter, successor to Hancock & Co. Ltd., London’ conveniently dropping the name ‘Burbrook’ from his advertisements. Ironically Richard Burbrook was later to become an employee of CFH. This was a constant source of annoyance to CFH and he would frequently cut out and file any press clippings that related to this misrepresentation. Consequently CFH had to disassociate himself from Streeter on numerous occasions.

It would appear that Maria Jane Hancock was just as capable of running the business as her husband. In the summer of 1860 CFH was taken seriously ill and had to spend three months convalescing in Brighton. He would not delegate any decision except to his wife; he was on record as saying “my wife understands the business as well as I do”.

Although the business of Hancocks was going from strength to strength, in 1866 CFH went into semi-retirement, but he still maintained a keen interest in the jewellery business. In c.1863 he purchased Hendon Hall, set in thirty-five acres and had several houses built there. In 1867 he bought most of the village of Willian in Hertfordshire, some 1200 acres, from the family of the late Baron Thomas Dimsdale. Soon after he set about a programme of rebuilding dilapidated cottages and updating the local drainage system, greatly improving the life of the villagers. Nearby he built the splendid mansion Roxley House, later known as Roxley Court and the residence of Mortimer Hancock.

Charles Frederick Hancock retired fully in 1870. He died on 10th February 1891 aged 83.

Following CFH’s semi-retirement in 1866, a new company was formed, now known as Hancock, Son & Co. its partners were listed as Mortimer Hancock, Horatio Stewart and Henry John Dore, and following CFH’s full retirement in 1870, his other son Charles Frederick Hancock Junior became a partner and the firm now traded as Hancocks & Co.

Mortimer Hancock was apprenticed to his father on 6th October 1858 and granted his Freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company by service on 1st November 1865, he was elected to the Livery in January 1872. He retired on 31st December 1883 and died at the age of 57 on 15th July 1901.

Charles Frederick Hancock Junior was apprenticed to his father on 5th November 1862 and obtained his Freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company by service on 6th March 1872. He left the firm on 12th April 1876 and died in 1909. His son Charles Granville Hancock, who was born in 1885, did not join Hancocks, but became a barrister. He did however claim his right to become a Freeman of the Goldsmiths’ Company by Patrimony on the 2nd May 1951, aged 66.

Horatio Stewart retired from the firm on 1st October 1885. This now left Henry John Dore to run the business, which he did until his death, by blood poisoning, at the age of 63 on 27th November 1895. Prior to his demise he took his wife, Louisa Mary Dore and his two sons, Henry Hancock Dore and Alfred George Dore into partnership on the 12th March or 1st May 1895 (depending on the source).

The London Gazette reported Louisa’s retirement on 31st December 1904.

Henry Hancock Dore was apprenticed to Mortimer Hancock on 7th April 1880 and obtained his Freedom from the Goldsmiths’ Company by service on 9th May 1887. He died in July 1926. Following his death, his brother, Alfred George Dore took his two nephews, John Addley Bourne and Gerald L. Hancock Dore into partnership.

1917 saw the business move to 25, Sackville Street, W1, on the corner of Virgo Street.

Alfred George Dore died in November 1935 and on the 8th October 1936 the business converted into a limited liability company under the style of Hancocks & Co. (Jewellers) Ltd., naming the directors as W.H.J. Wixley (Chairman) G.L.H. Dore and J.A. Bourne.

1970 saw the company move to the corner of Burlington Street and Old Burlington Street, and the premises were expanded and refurbished in 1978. In 1998 they moved to their present location at The Burlington Arcade.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The Victoria Cross

Since its inception in 1856, the manufacture of the Victoria Cross, Great Britain’s highest military honour, has always been entrusted to Hancocks. Unlike any other gallantry award it is cast rather than die struck, and then hand finished. All VCs are made from a Chinese cannon captured from the Russians following the battle of Sebastopol during the Crimean War.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hancocks & Co. - London - 1905

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hancocks & Co. - London - 1908

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Details of an Affidavit by Charles Frederick Hancock

In 1839 a charge of Lunacy was brought against one David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre in the Court of Chancery. Although the details of the case are not of interest to us here, an affidavit by Charles Frederick Hancock contained within the text of the case is not without interest, for it gives a small insight into his travels representing the firm of Storr and Mortimer:

Affidavit of Charles Frederick Hancock of Mornington-Road, Regent's-Park, and one of the partners of the House of Storr and Mortimer, of 156, New-Bond-street, London, Goldsmiths and Silversmiths to Her Majesty the Queen.

Sworn before Mr. S. Anderson, at the Chancery Affidavit Office, in Southampton Buildings, in the County of Middlesex, Dec. 15th, 1848.

I, Charles Frederick Hancock, of no. 39, Mornington-Road, Regent's-Park, and one of the partners of the House of Storr and Mortimer, of 156, New-Bond-street, London, Goldsmiths and Silversmiths to Her Majesty the Queen, do make Oath and Say, that I first became acquainted with the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre, in the, year 1840, in my capacity of jeweller and silversmith; and that the first order of dealings between the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre and myself, was an order for various wedding presents previous to the marriage of the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre with the daughter of Viscount St. Vincent, and that I have heard and believe that a statute of Lunacy was taken out against the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre in the year 1843, which induced him to leave this country. And I further say that I again met the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre at Saint-Petersburg in the year 1843, at or about which period I had several fresh dealings and transactions with him, connected with my business, in all of which I was unable to detect any act of his, which could create in my mind the remotest suspicion of insanity or weakness of intellect of the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre. And I further say that the next meeting between him and me took place in August 1845, at Baden-Baden, the circumstances of which more fully convinced me of the clearness of his intellect and capacity with respect to all business-transactions; and have again seen him at Brussels at the end of that year; and that my next interview with the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre was at Mivart's Hotel, in Brook-street, London, in November last, when he made several trifling purchases at our establishment, and also gave several further orders which afforded me frequent and almost daily interviews with him up to the present time; during all of which I anxiously watched and carefully observed every act of the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre, when in the act of accepting more important orders which the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre spoke of giving, and which I would not have accepted or executed had I entertained the slightest grounds of suspicion of his unsoundness of mind and of his incapacity to conduct or manage himself or his pecuniary affairs with discretion and judgment. And I further say that I am the travelling partner of the house aforesaid, and in that capacity I have visited different countries in Europe, also Turkey and Egypt, in all which I have had mercantile transactions with the people of those countries, and from my various opportunities of observing their manners and customs I have never detected in the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre any peculiarities different from those of the inhabitants of the several countries referred to. And I lastly say that judging from my entire knowledge of and acquaintance with the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre in matters of business, I am firmly convinced that he is fully capable of managing himself and his affairs.

(Signed)

"C. F. Hancock."

Source: Mr. Dyce Sombre's Refutation of the Charge of Lunacy Brought Against Him in the Court of Chancery - David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre - 1849

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Take notice that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, John Samuel Hunt, John Hunt, Robert Roskell the younger and Charles Frederick Hancock, carrying on the business of Goldsmiths, Silversmiths and Jewellers, at No. 156, New Bond-street, and Harrison-street, Gray's-inn-road, in the county of Middlesex, and at Manchester, in the county of Lancaster, under the style or firm of Hunt and Roskell, was dissolved on the 29th day of January last, so far as regards the said Charles Frederick Hancock.—Dated this 1st day of March 1849.
John Saml. Hunt. R. Roskell.
Jno. Hunt. C. F. Hancock.

Source: The London Gazette - 6th March 1849

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

C.F. Hancock - London - 1851

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Take notice, that the Court acting in the prosecution of a Petition filed in Her Majesty's Court of Bankruptcy, London, on the 29th day of September, 1865, by Charles Frederick Hancock, of Nos. 38 and 39, Burton-street, Jeweller and Silversmith, for adjudication of Bankruptcy, against William Blake, formerly of Park-crescent, Worthing, and now of No. 28, New Steyne, Brighton, in the county of Sussex, Esq., did, on the 29th day of September, 1865, annul the adjudication of Bankruptcy made against the said William Blake upon the said petition.

Source: The London Gazette - 9th March 1866

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

It is a well-known fact in the trade that most of the original members of the large West-end jewelers have either long since retired or have joined the majority. In some instances they have seen their successors also retire. Such was the case with the late Mr. Charles Frederick Hancock, of Hendon Hall and New Bond-street, who died a few months ago at the ripe old age of eighty-three, after being grievously afflicted for a considerable time. His will has been sworn under £62,137.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st July 1891

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hancocks & Co. - London - 1927

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The Bankruptcy Act, 1869.
In the London Bankruptcy Court.

To Henry Martin, late of No. 11, Milbourne-grove, West Brompton, in the county of Middlesex, a Captain in Her Majesty's Royal Artillery.
Take notice, that a Bankruptcy Petition has been presented to this Court by Henry John Dore, of No. 39, Bruton-street, Bond-street, in the county of Middlesex, for and on behalf of himself and Mortimer Hancock, Charles Frederick Hancock the younger, and Horatio Stewart, of the same place, Goldsmiths and Jewellers, trading under the name, style, or firm, of Hancocks and Company, and the Court has ordered that the publication of a notice of the Petition in the London Gazette, shall be deemed to be service of the Petition upon you. The Petition will be heard at this Court on the 24th day of January, 1871, at eleven o'clock in the forenoon, on which day you are required to appear, and if you do not the Court may adjudge you bankrupt in your absence. The Petition can be inspected by you on application at this Court.—Dated this 29th day of December, 1870.

Source: The London Gazette - 30th December 1870

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An example of the work and one of the marks used by Hancocks & Co.:

CFH (Charles Frederick Hancock) - London - 1889

See: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57848

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Information Regarding C.F. Hancock (Hancocks & Co.)

Post by dognose »

Hancocks' & Co. - London - 1885

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership hitherto existing between the undersigned, Mortimer Hancock, Charles Frederick Hancock, junior, Horatio Stewart, and Henry John Dore, carrying on business as Goldsmiths, Jewellers, and Silversmiths, at Nos. 38 and 39, Bruton-street, and No. 152, New Bond-street, London, under the style or firm of Hancocks and Co., was dissolved by mutual consent, as from the 12th day of April, 1876, so far only as regards the said Charles Frederick Hancock, junior, who retires therefrom. The business of the said firm will be continued by the said Mortimer Hancock, Horatio Stewart, and Henry John Dore, and all debts and liabilities of the said firm will be received and paid by them.—Dated this 21st
day of April, 1876.
Mortimer Hancock. Horatio Stewart
C. F. Hancock, jun. Henry J. Dore

Source: The London Gazette - 28th April 1876

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hancocks' & Co. - London - 1875

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

HANCOCKS & CO., Jewellers and Silversmiths, Corner of Bruton Street, New Bond Street, London, W. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established in 1848 by C. F. Hancock. Partnership Successions: (1) C. F. Hancock, (2) C. F. Hancock, Son & Co., (3) Hancocks & Co. Present Principals: H. H. Dore and A. G. Dore. Premises: At 38 and 39, Bruton Street, 152, New Bond Street, W. Specialities: Diamonds, Emeralds, Rubies and Pearls. Connection: World-wide. Royal Warrants: By Appointment to H.M. the King and to Her late Majesty Queen Victoria. Telephone: No. 1374 Gerrard. Telegraphic Address: " Handore, London."

Source: Whitaker's Red Book of Commerce or Who's Who in Business - 1914

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Jewel thieves who attempted to ransack the trim of Messrs. Hancocks, the Sackville St. jewelers, the other day by hurling a brick through a window, were foiled by the brick dislodging a plate-glass shelf which effectually filled the gap made by the brick. In order to ensure success the thieves first jammed the swing doors with a wooden wedge. A jewelry assistant, hearing the crash of the brick in the trim, succeeded in forcing the wedge, but the gang had disappeared. One diamond ring was missing.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 21st December 1921

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Bracelet Presented to Mrs. Gladstone.— This bracelet, which was presented on May 22nd to Mrs. Gladstone at the recent meeting of the Women's Liberal Federation in commemoration of her golden wedding, is noteworthy for the artistic taste shown in the grouping of the emerald and diamond shamrocks which surround the portrait, The miniature, which is copied from the well-known portrait by Sir John Millais, is painted on ivory. The band of the bracelet is formed of three thin delicate lines of gold enamelled in green and white, and at the back is engraved "25th July, 1839. From the Women's Liberal Federation, 1889." The miniature has been mounted by Messrs. Hancocks and Co., of New Bond Street.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st July 1889

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hancocks & Co. - London - 1914

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”