2021 Platinum Jubilee Hallmark

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The Four UK Assay Offices have published details of two possible marks to commemorate the Queen’s platinum jubilee. The two Platinum Jubilee marks have been created by the British Hallmarking Council (BHC) and a decision as to which one will be used is yet to be decided.

Below are the two choices:

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: 2021 Platinum Jubilee Hallmark

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I note that the BHC are running a poll via the National Association of Jewellers (NAJ) web site. My comment would be "Why 2021 when the anniversary is not until 2022?"

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Phil,

I'm sure this goes back to the 1935 Jubilee mark, I seem to recall reading that the extra mark was expected to cause high demand for items struck with it and manufacturers wanted it used earlier so that they could get supplies out to the colonies and in the shops ready for the start of Jubilee year. I believe (I'll try and find the actual quote), that there was a requirement that no items struck with the extra mark could be retailed in the UK before a certain date. I've no idea if that kind of restriction will apply to goods with the new mark.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

This is the only reference I could find at the moment, it refers to the 1953 Coronation mark:

The Queen has approved a special hallmark to commemorate her coronation, it was announced yesterday.

The Home Office have informed Mr G.R. Hughes, clerk of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, that the Queens head crowned may be struck at any assay office, from to-day to December 31, 1953, upon any gold or silver ware bearing one of the date letters in current use during some part of that period.

Wares bearing the coronation mark may not be sold in this country before January 1, 1953, although specimens may be distributed for publicity purposes. There will be no objection to sending supplies abroad bearing the coronation mark before that date.

This gives manufacturers several weeks in which to make and dispatch goods bearing the additional mark "For sale abroad" early in coronation year. The actual date on which Assay Offices can accept wares for marking with the special mark will be announced as soon as possible.

A committee representing the Assay Offices and the trade associations have chosen as the most suitable design for the coronation mark a model of the Queen's head by Mr. G. Paulin of Woronzow Road, London. His design has been selected from 10 plaster models considered by the committee and has been approved by the Royal Mint Advisory Committee and the Coronation Medal Panel.

Source: The Glasgow Herald - 1st October 1952

I've never seen an example of that 'For Sale Abroad' mark and have doubts that it was ever used, but would love to be proved wrong.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I think that "For sale abroad" should probably be read as a quote and "additional mark" just refers to the coronation mark; i.e. there was no special "For sale abroad" mark.

In passing I note that the 1977, 2002 and 2012 jubilee marks were all used for one year only in the anniversary year itself.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Phil,
In passing I note that the 1977, 2002 and 2012 jubilee marks were all used for one year only in the anniversary year itself.
I wonder perhaps if this may refer to the actual release of marked items by the assay office. If not, there would surely be an overwhelming deluge of submissions as soon as the assay office opened in the new year.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An announcement from the British Hallmarking Council on behalf of the Assay Offices of the UK:

In 2022, Her Majesty The Queen will become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, seventy years of service, having acceded to the throne in 1952. To celebrate the occasion, the body which oversees UK hallmarking, the British Hallmarking Council, has sanctioned a commemorative component mark.

Designed by Thomas Fattorini Ltd, the mark depicts an orb, and can be applied to precious metal, alongside a hallmark, by any one of the four UK Assay Offices.

The approval process of the mark took place over the last year and involved engineers at Goldsmiths’ Hall refining designs for use by laser, or punches ranging in size from 1mm – 6mm in height.

Commemorative marks have proved popular with UK consumers. In 1934 a voluntary mark celebrating the Silver Jubilee of H.M. King George V and H.M. Queen Mary was available to silversmiths for two years between 1934 and 1935. Its popularity led to further commemorative marks: for the Coronation of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 and 1954; for the Silver Jubilee in 1977; for the Millennium in 1999 and 2000; for the Golden Jubilee in 2002 and the Golden (sic) Jubilee in 2012.

A spokesperson for the Assay Offices of the UK said “The UK Assay Offices have a long tradition of capturing special occasions with the creation of commemorative marks. Not only does it provide the trade with an additional narrative for the products that carry the mark, but it also brings the importance of the hallmark into focus with the jewellery and silver buying consumer.”

Jewellers, silversmiths and retailers can request the mark from their assay office from November 1st 2021. Until the end of 2021, it can be applied to a hallmark without a date letter. Throughout all of 2022 the commemorative component mark can be applied along with the new year date letter.

Source: The Leopard - October 2021

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An example of the Platinum Jubilee Hallmark struck by the Sheffield Assay Office on a piece of flatware by Brett Payne:

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The making of the Platinum Jubilee commemorative mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV7bUkZaugs

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

UK Assay Offices Withdraw the Platinum Jubilee Commemorative Mark

Yesterday Buckingham Palace announced the very sad news of the passing of our long-reigning monarch, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. As a mark of respect, the Platinum Jubilee commemorative mark will now be withdrawn from use by the four Assay Offices of the United Kingdom.

Any items which have already been submitted, or pre-scheduled for marking with the Platinum Jubilee mark will be processed as promised, but with immediate effect, no further new submissions for the commemorative mark will be accepted.

The commemorative mark was originally planned to be applied until the end of Her Majesty's platinum Jubilee year in December 2022.

Source: Edinburgh Assay Office - 9th September 2022

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The Four Assay Offices of the United Kingdom to Resume Application of the Platinum Jubilee Mark

Over the course of the last week the four Assay Offices of the UK have received a huge number of requests from the trade and the public in support of continuing the application of the Platinum Jubilee commemorative mark.

After consultation with the King's Assay Master, the four Assay Offices of the UK are pleased to announce that from Tuesday 20th of September the Platinum Jubilee Mark will be made available again. The mark will remain available until the end of 2022, as originally scheduled.

Source: Edinburgh Assay Office - 15th September 2022

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The same statement received from the Sheffield Assay Office:

Over the course of the last week the four Assay Offices of the UK have received a huge number of requests from the trade and the public in support of continuing the application of the Platinum Jubilee commemorative mark.

After consultation with the King's Assay Master, the four Assay Offices of the UK are pleased to announce that from Tuesday 20th of September the Platinum Jubilee Mark will be made available again. The mark will remain available until the end of 2022, as originally scheduled.

Source: Sheffield Assay Office - 15th September 2022

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”