Arthur Benton Ryan, son of Michael A. and Almira E. (Carl) Ryan, was born March 2, 1855, in Danbury, where he grew up, attending the grammar and high schools. At the age of sixteen he removed to Hartford, where he began an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade with Thomas Steele & Son. After five years he removed to Middletown, and in July, 1876, became associated with John L. Smith, jeweler of that city. Four years later he purchased the business and formed a partnership with C. Wyman Barrows. Later the firm included three proprietors, Ryan, Barrows, and Parker, and this association continued about twenty years. At the end of this period, Mr. Ryan sold his interests and removed to Boston, Massachusetts, where for a period of twelve years he was engaged in the manufacture of baking powder. This business he sold out and for some years operated a commission business, dealing largely in grocers' sundries. This business he also sold in 1912, when he returned to Middletown. Mr. Ryan is an active member, and was for some years deacon of the First Baptist Church, of whose Sunday school he was superintendent for twenty years. For several years he was vice-president of the Young Men's Christian Association, of Middletown, during which period its present handsome building was erected. Before removing to Boston, he served two years as an alderman in Middletown, and during the Progressive movement of 1912 he was a candidate on that ticket for representative. For a number of years he was a director of the Central National Bank, of Middletown.
Mr. Ryan married, September 25, 1879, Agnes Maria Sears, who was born July 15, 1855, in Hartford, third daughter of Hezekiah Kilbourn and Julia (Osborne) Sears, granddaughter of Calvin and Martha (Chapin) Sears. (See Sears line). The children of Arthur Benton and Agnes Maria (Sears) Ryan are: Stetson Kilbourn, secretary of the State Board for the Education of the Blind, and deacon of the First Baptist Church, of Middletown ; Leonard Osborne, mentioned below ; and Arthur Benton, residing in South Farms, and now on the staff of the Middletown "Press."
Source: Encyclopedia of Connecticut Biography - American Historical Society - 1923