J. E. CALDWELL & CO.
THE house of J. E. Caldwell & Company, one of the important jewelry firms of the country, is located in the Caldwell Building opposite the Post Office, on Chestnut Street. Not only as jewelers hut as originators and developers of several branches of the business has this company achieved national reputation and standing. Its collections of pearls and jewels always permit exercise of widest and most exacting choice.
As silversmiths of distinction, the firm's reputation is also country-wide. Many of the State silver services presented by Commonwealths to the battle-ships bearing their name have been designed and executed by the Caldwell Company, among them being the $25,000 service presented by Pennsylvania to the war vessel of that name. Loving cups of silver and gold, bronze tablets, memorials, church plate and medals, by their superior workmanship, and excellent design, have aided materially in the establishment of the firm's high public esteem.
The finest of Swiss watches are obtainable from this firm. And one may choose a mantel clock or an English hall clock here from the largest stock in America. Porcelains, pottery, cut glass and a comprehensive variety of objets d'art compose special exhibitions. In fact, the widest possible selection is always the privilege of every patron of this establishment.
Source: Distinguished Men of Philadelphia and of Pennsylvania - Press Company - 1913