Shreve, Crump & Low, 1869 - Shreve, Crump & Low Co., 1919
The oldest jewelry house in Boston is that of Shreve, Crump & Low, Inc. It was established in 1800 and throughout its long career has always been a leader in jewelry circles. When the American Horological Journal, the original number of what is now The Jewelers' Circular, made its debut in 1869 the firm of Shreve, Crump & Low succeeded that of Shreve, Stanwood & Co., the new members being Charles H. Crump, whose entire business career was identified with the house up to the time of his death; George D. Low and William P. Shreve, a nephew of Benjamin Shreve. In 1888 the firm was incorporated as Shreve, Crump & Low Co., under the laws of Massachusetts with Benjamin Shreve as president, George D. Low as vice-president, C. H. Crump as manager and W. P. Shreve as treasurer.
In 1896 Benjamin Shreve died. Mr. Low succeeded to his position and trade activities, and Benjamin Shreve was elected vice-president. The latter has since been made assistant treasurer. Benjamin Shreve the father, died in Salem on Aug. 23, 1896, being at the time 83 years old. For several years he had taken no active part in the business, and after the removal of the business to the corner of West St. was in Boston but a few times. Before coming to Boston he had been in business in Saco, Me., with his brother, in Salem with his uncle, as S. B. and B. Shreve, and in New York as Kingsley & Shreve, at 22 Maiden Lane. In this place he had with him a brother and nephew who soon afterward went to San Francisco and established the house of G. C. & S. S. Shreve.
When in April, 1849, the store at the corner of Washington and Summer St. was occupied by Jones, Ball & Co. there was opened an establishment that was without an equal in the world, incredible as the statement may seem to those who do not now remember it.
After the fire of November, 1872, they gathered up the remnants of their stock and established themselves at 158 Washington St., where they remained until Dec. 8, 1873, when the new building was ready for them to occupy.
Soon after the death of John C. Gray, owner of the Washington and Summer Sts. block, the estate was sold to Harvard University, the owners of the adjoining building, and the whole was in 1889 rented to one tenant, obliging Shreve, Crump & Low to seek other quarters. The corner of Tremont and West Sts. was selected for the new location, on which was erected a six-story building that was occupied July 1, 1891.
The present officers of the company are: President, Dr. O. B. Shreve; vice-president, Richard D. Smith; treasurer, W. P. Shreve; directors, W. P. and O. B. Shreve, Richard D. Smith, W. A. Lee and A. W. Armington.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 5th February 1919