A. S. Mermod Honored on the 50th Anniversary of His Business Career
St. Louis, Mo., Nov. i.—Augustus S. Mermod, president of the Mermod & Jaccard Jewelry Co., celebrated the 50th anniversary of his arrival in St. Louis Monday. The occasion was made a half holiday for the managers and employes of the firm.
The big store on Broadway and Locust St. was handsomely and tastefully decorated when Mr. Mermod arrived in the morning. He was met at the entrance by D. C. Jaccard, who escorted him into the midst of 200 employes and friends who were assembled around the beautiful golden receptacle which contained the testimonial to be presented to Mr. Mermod. Goodman King, secretary of the firm, addressed Mr. Mermod after quiet was restored. He then presented him with the testimonial in the form of a book 16x20 inches, enclosed in a Louis Quinze table, solidly gilded, the upper part being of glass with a lid. It is beautifully lined with silk plush and resting inside exposed to view was the testimonial.
The exterior of the book is made of white Levantine kid, on the center of which is placed in solid gold letters the initials A. S. M. On either side of the letters, embossed in gold, is placed "1845-1895," and beneath the monogram are the words, “ October 28th, St. Louis.” On the second leaf, in illuminated text appears the following inscription:
“ Dedicated to Augustus S. Mermod, Esq.. President of the Mermod & Jaccard Jewelry Company, commemorating the Golden Anniversary of his arrival in the City of St. Louis, 1845—October —1895.”
An address to Mr. Mermod is inscribed on the next page, opposite to which are placed portraits of D. C. Jaccard, C. F. Mathey and Goodman King, with their signatures attached, surmounted by the inscription:
“ An honest man is the noblest work of God.” Your Lifetime Associates.
The names of the members of the establishment and the employes in the various branches of the manufacturing department of the firm then follow. On the next leaf is shown a picture of St. Louis in 1845, and of St. Louis in 1895, with a cut of the present Mermod & Jaccard building.
As the golden anniversary also celebrated Mr. Mermod’s crystal wedding, he was presented at the same time with a magnificent cut glass, gold inlaid vase, filled with fifty roses.
Mr. Mermod came here 50 years ago direct from the mountains of Switzerland and opened a small jewelry store on Main St. between Locust and Vine Sts., then an important center of the retail trade. For two years he conducted this small store alone, making a name for honest and fair dealing. He was a bachelor then and lived in a room next door to his store. In 1847 he was joined by his old schoolboy friend and associate D. C. Jaccard, and the two then formed the partnership and started the firm that has grown to be the largest west of New York.
During the 50 years of Mr. Mermod’s life in St. Louis he has been known as a progressive, liberal, broad minded citizen, always ready to assist in any public enterprise, and the kindest of employers. He is held in the highest esteem by his associates and employes.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 6th November 1895