Backstamped Wagner by Reed & Barton on covered/lidded sugar as identified by Everett L. Moffatt in Silver Banquet II, 1990, page 223. Begun as New York Central Sleeping Car Company in 1858. Absorbed Gates Sleeping Car Company in 1869, and subsequently re-named. Based in Buffalo New York where some buildings from the original shop complex have survived. Webster Wagner was tragically killed on 13 January 1882 while in one of his own cars during a rear-end collision. The company was later turned over to ownership by the new Pullman Company (01 January 1900) which replaced the old Pullman Palace Car Company.
Deutsche Shlaftwagen und Spiesewagen Gesellschaft (German Sleeping car and Dining car Society). Sample of full logo from china butter chip by Gebruder Bauscher/Bauscher Brothers. Silverwares might only carry the DSG lettering.* The logo design was derived from the original MITROPA (1916-) company, retaining the eagle head which was removed by the East German (DDR) incarnation of the company after the entire system was absorbed. [Mitropa activity was centered on the reduced, post-war Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR) system.] As a result, DSG was formed in the Western zones to operate these services on the Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB) rail network. The starting date is always cited as 1949, though the china has a date code for 1947...something yet to be explained. Re-unification of a single German Republik saw DSG integrated into a new Mitropa in 1994, all of which has largely been dismantled. All a bit of an irony.
*Known producers of silverwares include WMF and Gebruder Hepp for hollowares. No samples of flatwares could be located so far.
Crest Sample: HOTEL GRUNER WALD und SCHLOSS-RESTAURANT Schossplatz Wiesbaden
A landmark structure at Marktstrasse 10 in the heart of this German city in the middle Rhine Valley close to the Neckar River and Taunus mountains. Remodelled to become a hotel around 1899. During the World War II era, was listed as being on Adolf Hitler Platz (missing from the wiki accounting of these renamings) and having a shorter phone number which suggests this is a post-war flyer. The Schloss Restaurant is viewed in that period as being on the street level frontage looking out toward the historic center (RPPC Postcard listed on a commercial site-so no links). During the 1990's, the structure was again reconditioned to become apartments with stores below. The crest sample is the only one known so far and no wares are listed for this hostlery. Submitted as a possible identification aid.
A "Sold" listing on RubyLane for an 1847 Rogers Brothers handled pitcher bears the wording OREGON AND WASHINGTON over RAILROAD COMPANY. We can't pull those photos, but in lieu are three images. The second and third are both the same shot of an Oregon & Washington Harriman type car (Pullman C-4 Coaches circa 1909-12???) at the station in Eugene Oregon in about 1911. This was recovered from the 1912-13 Oregana yearbook of the University of Oregon. The first image is courtesy Wikipedia via their public files and shows the lettering on these cars. They were supposed to operate over the Portland-Seattle section, but we now know they may have traversed the Portland-south lines over Southern Pacific (the leased Oregon & California lines). The Shasta Limited first class flyer is mentioned in the advertisement from 1910, a San Francisco-Portland-Seattle name train. The existence of the Oregon and Washington Railroad Company began in 1906 when construction of this northern leg began. Trains began to operate around 1909, and the company was quickly absorbed into the new Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Company (controlled by Union Pacific until final absorption into that entity). All of this was part of the great Harriman System empire during that era. Items marked for this specific company were short lived and should be quite rare. The matching china pattern remains unknown, but I'm working on it.
Leveled a few years (c.1965) before the famous photo of seminal rock band The Doors was taken in front of a Los Angeles fleabag to grace the cover and give name to their album, this venue had long served as an architectural landmark for Chicago holding height records. Erected on the oldest continuos site for any Chicago hotel, the building came to occupy a full city block but had a turbulent history which carved (for some years) a second hotel from one of the four parts which comprised it.
Example..Coffee Server by Victor Silver Company (International Silver) bearing 1951 date code. An undefined symbol mark sits upper left of maker markings, and an "X" code is added which may reference X-tra/Extra plating of commercial service (this is not definite, but has been observed on heavy pieces by various firms).