For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Re: The English Provincial Trade - The West Country

Postby dognose » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:40 am

MARK WHITEHEAD

Chichester

SERIOUS CHARGE AGAINST A JEWELLER

Mark Whitehead, aged 45, a watchmaker and jeweller in an extensive way of business at Chichester, was charge on a warrant on Tuesday, at the Clerkenwell police-court, London, with having feloniously received of one Harvey Dixon, well knowing them to have been stolen, two gold bracelets, two silver bracelets, one diamond brooch, two gold earrings, and divers other articles of jewellery, of the value together of £90, property of a London jeweller, from whom they had been stolen. A detective inspector stated that there were four boys in custody for stealing the above and other jewellery. The prisoner had only paid £10 for jewellery, which at the wholesale price was worth over £50. The head-constable of Chichester said that on Friday last he went to the prisoner's shop and said he wanted some bracelets and rings he had bought. The prisoner handed him the two gold bracelets produced and said the rings were broken up and useless, and that he had sent them with other old stuff to a firm in London. He further said, "I should not have bought the jewellery of the young man, but he represented that he and his brother had been in the trade, had been unfortunate, and wanted money to travel with. I did not believe them at first. I told them to go away, but they got over me, and my wife persuaded me to purchase it."—The prisoner was remanded, and bail was refused.

Source: The South Wales Echo - 31st December 1881

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:29 pm

CROWTHER

South Street, Exeter

YOUTH'S DRAMATIC SUICIDE

A tragic sequel to an Exeter burglary took place yesterday. The police had obtained a warrant to search the premises of a small jeweller named Crowther, in South-street, Exeter, where it was suspected some articles previously stolen from a pawnbroker's in the city had found their way. Detectives were going over the premises with a son of the proprietor, Charles Crowther, eighteen years of age, being under observation all the time. In a moment he snatched up a gallipot containing oxalic acid and took a draught. A policeman knocked the vessel from his hand at once, and Crowther said he had not drunk any. An emetic was, however, obtained from a chemist, and the young fellow was taken to the hospital. Within half an hour he was dead.

Source: Evening Express and Evening Mail - 17th March 1908

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm

W. CHANDLER & Co.

Chapel Street, later, 78, Fore Street, Redruth

Messrs. W. Chandler & Co., jewellers and dealers in cycles , prams, and domestic machines, have removed from Chapel Street to 78, Fore Street, Redruth.

Source: The Journal of Domestic Appliances and Sewing Machine Gazette - 1st November 1895

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:08 am

EDWIN ALBERT SOUTHCOTT

Bristol

BANKRUPT SENT TO PRISON

At Bristol Quarter Sessions Edwin Albert Southcott, a Bristol jeweller, has been sentenced to three months' imprisonment for an offence under the Bankruptcy Act. The prisoner, who admitted being insolvent in June, 1900, obtained a large quantity of jewellery on credit last year from several Birmingham firms and disposed of it at less than cost price, this being the offence complained of.

Source: The Welsh Gazette - 15th January 1903

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:33 am

THE WEST OF ENGLAND WATCH & JEWELLERY ASSOCIATION

Bridge Street, Bristol

The West Of England Watch & Jewellery Association - Bristol - 1878

F. CALDER - Manager

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”