JAMES DRAYTON, later, J. DRAYTON & SON
46, later, 4, Fore Street, Taunton
Silver Cradle.—The wife of the Mayor of Taunton having presented him with a daughter during his year of office, the townspeople are about to present him with a silver cradle, and have commissioned Mr. Drayton, of Fore-street, to carry out their wishes.
Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st December 1893
Drayton's premises located at 4, Fore Street, Taunton were originally built in 1865 for the Wilts and Dorset Bank, it was later occupied by the Inland Revenue before being remodelled in 1892 to house Drayton’s Jewellers. Drayton's closed around 1994, They had been in business since at least 1880.
THE OPENING OF THE TAUNTON ELECTRICITY WORKS
A casket of silver was presented to Mr. Alderman Potter, on the front of which are Mr. Potter's initials, in blue and red enamel, and on the reverse side the inscription "Presented to Alderman William Potter, J.P., with a copy of the resolution of the Taunton Town Council acknowledging services rendered by him as chairman of the Electric Lighting Committee, 15th August, 1900." On each side are columns, being representations of the borough mace. The cover is surmounted by the Taunton arms, and the casket stands on velvet. It was made by Messrs. Drayton and Sons, and is a beautiful specimen of silversmith's work. The illuminated address, which is excellently done, was the work of Mr. Burrow, engraver, of Bath place.
Source: The Electrical Engineer - 17th August 1900
By 1959 the business was noted as being in the hands of Winifred M. Richardson, but retaining the name of J. Drayton & Son.