EVERETT L. SPENCER
An image of Everett L. Spencer, proprietor of E.L. Spencer & Co., jewelry manufacturers of Providence, Rhode Island:
This image was published in 1901.E. L. Spencer & Co. —Manufacturers of gold rings together with a general line of jewelry. Works located in the "Emma" Building, corner Aborn and Washington streets, Providence. Mr. Everett L. Spencer, the sole proprietor of the business, was born in Providence, April 29, 1867. As a boy he began to work for the jewelry firm of Waite, Smith & Co., remaining with that firm for ten years, the last four years he was representing the company on the road. At the end of this time, he severed his connection with the firm and associated with George H. Holmes & Co., becoming
a traveler through the West for the latter, remaining in that position for four months. His connection with this house was brief, as he made arrangements to enter the business field for himself, and began under the firm name of E. L. Spencer & Co., on April 15, 1891, locating his factory at 62 Page street. A beginning was made by purchasing the plant of F. A. Stevens & Co., of Providence, which was owned by Albert A. Remington, of this city, who was a partner with with Mr. Spencer for one year. After the first year, Mr. Remington's interest was purchased by Mr. Spencer, who thus became sole owner of the entire business, and has been ever since. When business was first begun, the firm manufactured a line of plated and silver brooches and stick pins. In fact, the same line that had previously been made by George H. Cogshill, who had previously owned the plant. From the beginning, Mr. Spencer began to make additions to the line, having an aptitude for bringing out new things that were tasty in design and elegant in finish. In this way he forged ahead until he finally merged the original business into a line of solid gold goods, and to-day the firm is noted all over the country as a leading gold ring house, rings having been a specialty, although a large production of brooches, stick pins, drops, studs, charms, baby pins and eye glass chains are also made. The factory of the firm remained at 62 Page street until last year, when the rapidly growing business of the firm required larger quarters, and a removal was made in August, 1900, to the elegant "Emma" Building, which is owned by Dutee Wilcox, and located at the corner of Aborn and Washington streets. The building is one of the best situated and equipped for manufacturing purposes of any to be found in this city. The factory of Mr. Spencer is also probably as well equipped for the class of work manufactured by his concern as any to be found, being filled with machinery that is up to date. The firm gives employment to a number of capable designers and tool-makers, as well as to a large number of employes of high grade. The firm also have an extensive department for packing jewelry, and ample office room.
Source: Biographical History of the Manufacturers and Business Men of Rhode Island
- Edited by Joseph Davis Hall Jr. - 1901