A GREAT SILVER SALE
Following the prevailing tendency towards enlargement, combination, and consolidation, Messrs. Mappin and Webb, Limited, and Messrs. Mappin Brothers, both enjoying a reputation that without exaggeration maybe called world-wide, decided recently to join forces, and without question the public will be the gainers. The first practical outcome of the amalgamation is proof of this, taking, as it does, the form of a very large sale of silver ware and electro-plated ware of the finest quality at very heavy reductions in price, the sale, being entered upon for purely business-like reasons, in order that the combined firms may have every opportunity of offering the public all that is latest and best and most up-to-date in their joint productions. Some idea of the extent of this great silver sale may be gathered from the fact that it will proceed for some weeks simultaneously at all of the four establishments of the combined firms, namely, in the case of Messrs. Mappin and Webb, Limited, at their West-End establishment, 158-162, Oxford Street, W., and their City house, 2, Queen Victoria Street, EC, and in that of Messrs. Mappin Brothers, at their West-End house, 220, Regent Street, W., and at their City premises, 66, Cheapside, EC.
During the sale every kind of silver and electro-plate, whether for the table or toilet, the whole range of fanciful artistic silver for decorative purposes, in the form of vases, claret-jugs, tea services, coffee services, centrepieces, dessert services, and all the thousand and-one things which beautify and add to the charm and comfort of our houses, will be offered on terms low enough to attract all who appreciate articles of the finest quality at bargain prices.
There is something singularly appropriate in the amalgamation of these two famous business-houses. The original firm was that of Messrs. J. Mappin and Brothers, established as far back as the year 1810, and both the firms which have now amalgamated practically sprang from the same source, although it happened that they worked independently for more than half-a-century. Both were pioneers of the movement which they have always adhered to, by which they supply the public direct from their manufacturers, and both have large factories at Sheffield, which will now be under single control; and thus both Messrs. Mappin and Webb, Limited, and Messrs. Mappin Brothers assume a direct responsibility for the quality of their productions, which have in each case consistently been of the highest class.
Messrs. Mappin and Webb, who have branches at Johannesburg, Nice, and Aix-les-Bains, Cairo, Alexandria, Rangoon, Jamaica, and other places abroad, have built up steadily, through several generations, universal reputation for every description of table cutlery and silver and plated table equipments, decorative table-ware, etc.; they have also been the manufacturers of innumerable pieces of notable presentation plate, including many caskets presented to Royalty, heroes, great statesmen and official personages, while challenge shields, regimental trophies, &'c., have been executed by them in large numbers and with uniform success. These trophies, in particular, have been almost invariably modelled and produced at their London factory, Winsley Works, Oxford Street, W., where, in 1886, they transplanted what was at that period the finest business in the world for this class of work, namely, that of Messrs. Stephen Smith, then of Covent Garden. The latter firm was established as long ago as 1780, and when taken ever by Messrs. Mappin and Webb possessed a collection of models which included statuettes of almost every regiment in the British Army.
It is interesting to know that very many of the men who worked for Messrs. Stephen Smith are still in the employ of Messrs. Mappin and Webb, Limited, and may be reckoned among the finest craftsmen in the country. In this factory, too, Messrs. Mappin and Webb possess the notable advantage of being able to invite their customers to inspect the work in its various stages–in clay, plaster, and silver– and so ensure that perfect accuracy of detail for which they have always been noted. Their commercial goods have been made at their "Royal" Works, Sheffield, which for many years have been the largest in that town. Messrs. Mappin Brothers also possess a very extensive factory at Sheffield, and the combination of these two huge works, where many hundreds of hands are employed, cannot fail to benefit both the amalgamating firms and the customers whom they supply. Both firms are holders of many Royal Warrants, and their name, as I have said, is a guarantee for everything that leaves their premises.
Source: The Sketch - 4th February 1903