CHARLES MAAS & Co.13, Jewin Cresent, later, 1a, Aldermanbury Avenue, London and Vienna
C. Maas & Co. - London - 1882
The business of Charles Maas, sometime in partnership with Marcus Maas.
The company is likely to be identified with that of Maas Brothers, (Leopold Maas, Sigismund Maas and Bernard Maas) of Wood Street Square, City, London and Heumuhlgasse, Vienna, who dissolved their partnership on the 31st January 1888, who were pipe importers and manufacturers.
C. Maas & Co. were converted into a limited liability company styled C. Maas & Co.Ltd. in c.1915
Charles Maas & Co. entered their marks 'CM' incuse and without outline, 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval, and 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval beneath a crown. These marks were entered a total of 22 times with the London Assay Office between the years 1883 and 1914. A further set of marks noted was 'CM' above 'MM' incuse and without outline, denoting the partnership of Charles Maas and Marcus Maas, that was registered with the LAO on the 24th September 1890.
The firms marks containing the crown were cancelled at the request of the Sheffield Assay Office on the 28th February 1896.
Charles Maas & Co. also entered their marks 'CM' incuse and without outline, 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval, with the Chester Assay Office.
A Charles Maas & Co. pipe with Birmingham marks:
C.M&C - Birmingham - 1898