The Snippet - Past News of the Silver Trade

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Re: The Snippet - Past News of the Silver Trade

Postby dognose » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:20 am

YOUREX SILVER

Chicago

The Associated Silver Co., 174 East Lake street, Chicago, Ill., in offering the trade the "Yourex" Silver, state that the line is sold exclusively by their own salesmen and is sold at the same fixed price only to the retail trade, and there is also a fixed minimum retail price. The "Yourex" Silver is a substitute for sterling silver and will not tarnish as easily as sterling ware. It is solid and not plated, and therefore the silver will not wear off; it is guaranteed for a lifetime. The flexible Silver Knife can be sharpened same as a steel knife. The spoon bowl bottom and back of handle will not wear off as in plated ware.

Source: Hardware Dealer's Magazine - December 1906

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:28 am

A NARROW ESCAPE FROM DEATH

Lancaster, Pennsylvania

A. S. Daveler, formerly with the Hamilton Watch Factory, now with that at Elgin, and wife were here recently visiting his mother. Last Saturday, on their way home, as their train was pulling into the Englewood Station, Chicago, a 32-caliber revolver bullet crashed through the car window and passed through Mrs. Daveler’s hat, which she had a minute before taken down from the rack. Had she been standing when the shot was fired she would have been killed.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 9th August 1911

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:42 am

LOST AND FOUND

Atlanta, Georgia

A package of jewelry which was lost over 10 years ago by Fred J. Stilson, who at that time was a jeweler, was recently found in Atlanta, Ga., by workmen who were repairing the building in which the jeweler had lived. Mr. Stilson, who is now retired, said the package had been mislaid. It contained rings and watches.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 16th August 1911

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:05 am

THE END OF 'GERMAN SILVER'

United Kingdom

Since the war began, people interested in the electro-plate trade have ceased to describe their base metal as ‘German silver,’ and have substituted for it the term ‘nickel silver'.

Source: The Ironmonger - November 1914

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 pm

SILVERSMITHS' MODELS

London

Human hair is above all things best calculated for making models of some kinds of dark-coloured snakes. I have observed in Farrer’s shop in Regent-street, where they work up hair into all sorts of devices, several very good models of snakes. Black, white, and brown hair being intermixed, give exactly the appearance of the common viper. One hair snake, in particular, has its marks perfectly correct, whether by design or accident I know not, but there it is, a model of a viper, only unfortunately it has the ideal head fashioned by an unobservant artist. A shop close by presents some beautiful bronze models of snakes coiled up, which, being heavy, are intended for paper-weights. These are no ideal snakes ; they are, I am certain, casts from the original ; and I have heard that lizards are put into plaster of Paris alive and left to die there. When dead the plaster is put into a furnace, and the body of the lizard being consumed is shaken out in the form of powder, through a hole made for the purpose ; the metal is then poured in, assuming, of course, the accurate shape of the lizard. I have in my possession a sprig of common English prickly furze made in this way, and also an electro-plated hollow model of a toad. I am certain, from marks in the model, that the metal was deposited on the actual body of the toad, and also that in this case the toad was dead before operated on.

Silversmiths are not always very careful about their models. I once saw on the top of an enormous silver dish, intended for a haunch of venison, two deer modelled in silver. I was sorry to see how these deer had been imagined by the artist : their legs looked dropsical, and their bodies like the bodies of cows, clumsy, and devoid of that grace peculiar to the deer tribe. As an offset to these, I have seen in Mr. Elkington’s window a beautiful bit of presentation plate, made by an artist who took the animal itself as a model. It is a palm-tree under which stands a giraffe. The limbs and shape of the animal are perfect, and he has hit off the great peculiarity of the giraffe, the long black prehensile tongue which the animal uses to pull down the leaves into his mouth; even the tongue itself is a perfect model of nature. Quaere. Were giraffes ever used as beasts of burden ? I have seen an ancient picture in the palace of the Luxembourg, where a giraffe is represented being led by a man, and upon its back is a package fastened with ropes. I have also seen a pretty idea ; viz., the model of the merrythought bone of a bird made in gold with a pin attached to it so as to form a brooch. In Mr. Hancock’s shop, too, is a capital group in silver, of the death of a fox. It was made as a testimonial to Lord Forrester by the members of the Belvoir Hunt ; it represents an incident that really took place. A fox had given the hounds a remarkably long run, and at last escaped into a tree. The whipper-in got up the tree, and succeeded in driving the fox down, not, however, to be killed, for he made his escape after a second severe gallop. The horsemen, horses, and hounds are all perfect ; so also is the fox, who is up in a tree concealing himself behind a branch. The head, with the expression peculiar to a fox, has been hit off exactly by the artist.

Lastly, in the city—a very proper place for it—I have seen a capital silver soup tureen in the shape of a turtle. The great sprawling silver turtle is placed on the table, his carapace, or upper shell is lifted off, and his body is found to contain soup fit for Jove himself.

Source: Curiosities Of Natural History - Francis T. Buckland M.A. - 1860

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:42 am

EXPLOSION BLOWS OUT THE WINDOWS AT SILVERSMITHS

Mount Vernon, New York

In an explosion which blew up the railroad bridge in Mt. Vernon, N. Y.. last week 73 windows at the plant of the Mauser Gold & Silver Works were broken.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th September 1911

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 pm

MISLEADING CLAIMS HALTED

New York

Unfair competition of various types will be discontinued by the following companies under stipulations between the Federal Trade Commission and the concerns in question:

No. 1369. Lehman Brothers Silverware Corporation, New York City. The company agrees to discontinue the use of the word “Sheffield” so as to imply erroneously that its products were made in Sheffield, England, or in accordance with the so-called Sheffield process.

Source: NAB Reports - The National Association of Broadcasters - 18th May 1935

FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION ACTIVITIES

Cease and Desist Orders

No, 2386. Excelsior Silverware Corporation, New York City. The respondent is directed to stop using the words “Sheffield Reproductions” or similar expressions implying that its products are made or reproduced in accordance with the manufacturing process employed by the silversmiths of Sheffield, England, when this is not the case. The respondent consented to the issuance of the order.

Source: NAB Reports - The National Association of Broadcasters - 25th July 1935

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 am

HONESDALE SILVERWARE COMPANY

Honesdale, Pennsylvania

The Honesdale Silverware Company have been incorporated in Honesdale, Pa., with a capital of $25,000. They will manufacture sterling silver small wares.

Source: The Jewelers' Weekly - 27th March 1895

Perhaps to be identified with the Wayne Silver Co., of Honesdale which opened around the same time. See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=36151&p=171114#p171114

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 am

HENRY ELLIS

Exeter

Mr. Ellis, silversmith, has in his possession an ingot of fine silver, weighing several hundred ounces, the produce of the Combmartin mines, in Devonshire.

Source: The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser - 18th June 1847

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”