WENZEL BACHMANN & Co.Mollardgasse 30. Wien
Established in 1842 by Wenzel Bachmann (b.1817 at Krakovany, Bohemia - d.30-1-1877 at Wien). His company mostly produced silver plated wares.
In 1906 and 1907 they executed Josef Hoffmann designs for the Wiener WerkstÃ¤tte, these wares were for the Cabaret Fledermaus that was to open in 1907 at the corner of KÃ¤rntnerstrasse and Johannesgasse in Vienna. At this time of this order the business had over 200 employees.
The company was taken over by the Berndorfer Metallwaren-Fabrik Arthur Krupp A.G. in 1918, but they continued to produced items under the Bachmann name until at least 1927, and perhaps as late as the late 1930's.
Wenzel Bachmann & Co. were later holders of the Imperial warrant and their products were marked with the Imperial Eagle up until 1918.
Items were sometimes marked AS
(Alpacca Silber), CHS
(China Silber), or WBC
(the 'W' and the 'B' being conjoined) for Wenzel Bachmann & Co.
Examples of the work of Wenzel Bachmann & Co.:
A tea strainer made in 1861, pre the granting of the Imperial warrant:
A lidded sugar bowl, made before 1918, displaying the Imperial Eagle: