An image of the premises of the J.H. Leyson Company at Salt Lake City:
This image was undated, but c.1890. Recent fire damage can be noted on the right of the building. The business was owned by J.H. Leyson and the millionaire mine owner, A.W. McCune. The shop was managed by Hugh Mauldin.
An image of the wrecked premises of F.C. Gleason & Co, situated at 113, W. 125th Street, New York:
Mysterious Explosion at the Store of Fernando C. Gleason & Co.
Shortly after 1 o'clock Wednesday morning, May 29, occurred a dynamite explosion in front of the store of Fernando C. Gleason & Co., 113 W. 125th St., New York, causing considerable damage to the store and wrecking the windows of every store within 100 yards of the place. Just who fired the explosive and what was his motive is not known. Several theories are held by the police; one that the explosion was the work of an inexperienced burglar, who used this method to break into the store; another that it was the work of a discharged employe, who may have had a grudge against Mr. Gleason and took this means of venting his ill will.
Investigation showed that the explosive was carefully placed in position just below the lock of the door. The charge, which flew out of the front of the building, tore a large hole into the cellar beneath the store and smashed all the show cases in front of the store. Some odd features of the explosion were that a delicate diamond scale in the window was unharmed, while the heavy show case on which the scales rested was shattered to pieces, and that a large observation clock, hanging right by the window, was uninjured, while a small clock in the rear of the store was broken. The loss is estimated to be less than $200. After the explosion, the only things missing were a few silver novelties that had been in the window. It is supposed that these were taken, however, after the explosion, and not by the culprit.
Mr. Gleason is one of the oldest jewelers in Harlem, having been in business in that vicinity since 1862. The present members of the firm are Mr. Gleason and J. H. Patten, who have been in the present location for two years.