EDWARD & SONS92-96, Buchanan Street, Glasgow
Edward & Sons Ltd. - Glasgow - 1930The Casket containing the address which was presented by the Executive of the Glasgow International Exhibition to Her Majesty the Queen, on the 22nd ult., was designed and manufactured by Messrs. George Edward and Sons, goldsmiths and silversmiths, London and Glasgow. The Casket, which is of silver, overlaid with pure gold, is quite different in shape from any casket hitherto presented to Her Majesty in this country, the design having been suggested by one of the Indian caskets among Her Majesty's Jubilee presents, now on view in the Kelvingrove Museum. It is cylindrical in form, richly chased with runic ornamentations and studded with Scotch stones from the various counties in Scotland. The Royal Arms are chased at one end, the Glasgow Arms at other end, and in the centre is a lion supporting a shield with the Royal Monogram " V.R." in relief, while the whole is surmounted with the Regalia. The casket rests on four upright supports, in Celtic form, standing on a military red velvet base, at the corners of which are four figures, representing four of the most illustrious Scottish regiments. The whole is contained in a handsome oak case, lined with satin. Messrs. Edward and Sons are also making the Casket to contain address to be presented to Her Majesty, at Queen Margaret's College, on Friday next. The casket is oblong in shape and covered with royal blue velvet, having ornamental silver gilt corner pieces and the Queen Margaret College badge in centre with royal monogram V.R. and Q.M.C. in monogram below. The gold catches, with ribbon for attaching badges which are worn by Convenors of Committees, were made by Messrs. Edward also.
Source: Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith
- 1st September 1888MESSRS. EDWARD & SONS,
92 AND 96, BUCHANAN STREET, GLASGOW
Amongst the varied commercial interests of Glasgow which have a leading part in its prosperity and contribute to the attractiveness of its principal thoroughfares, the business of the goldsmith, jeweller, and silversmith necessarily occupies a very notable and conspicuous place. There are names which unite the features of the city's busy and progressive modem activity with a time when it was as yet in the initial stages of development, and which have given a certain distinction to its trading records. Messrs. Edward & Sons fall to be ranked in this category as sustaining the old and honourable traditions of the artistic crafts with which they have been connected for the greater part of a century. Their business was founded by the late Mr. George Edward in 1837, the year of the accession of the late Queen Victoria ; and one is reminded of the dignified characteristics and standing which the house has preserved by the fact that it continues to hold the Royal Appointment. A long and successful career has been marked by an uninterrupted family proprietary, which is to-day represented by Messrs. George Edward, D. Herbert Edward, and Arthur Edward, the present principals of the firm. Messrs. Edward & Sons trade as goldsmiths, jewellers, silversmiths, and watch and clock manufacturers ; and in each department maintain a superior standard. Occupying a very favourable position in fashionable Buchanan Street, their estalishment affords a centre for all who desire to obtain examples of high-class design and workmanship at a moderate cost. Perhaps the most notable feature of a collection thoroughly illustrative of the best phases of the trade is the range of fine diamond and gem jewellery, in which this house presents many exclusive and unconventional specialities. A similarly high grade is indicated in the firm's watches and clocks, all combining the essential merits of precision and superior workmanship, guaranteed time-keeping and elegant finish. The many beautiful specimens of silver and electroplated work tend to emphasise the sustained public interest in this important branch of industrial art ; and nothing finer could well be imagined than the wares of these classes which are submitted by Messrs. Edward & Sons. A noteworthy recent addition to the firm's many specialities is the Pulsynetic Electric Impulse Clock System. Recognising the importance of a time system which would be absolutely uniform, as well as accurate, they have, after a succession of careful and exhaustive tests, taken up the Scottish agency for this efficient system with which they are now equipping many important buildings, steamships, etc. Messrs. Edward & Sons having long provided for a wide range of requirements and a correspondingly varied circle of customers, their markets have, in the course of time, been very greatly extended, foreign and colonial connections being successfully cultivated, in addition to the large business conducted throughout the United Kingdom. All departments receive the undivided attention of the partners; and the administration continues upon the same sound principles which have so materially contributed to the repute of the house and to the establishment of its position and influence as one of Glasgow's representative business concerns. Telephone : 7683 City (2 lines). Telegrams and Cables: "Edward, Glasgow." Bankers : British Linen Co. Bank.
Source: The Business World
Founded by George Edward in 1837/8, they had acquired the premises at 92, Buchanan Street by 1863, later extending it to take in No.96. In c.1874 they openned a London branch at Mansion House Buildings, on Cheapside.
For details of George Sherwood Edward's separate business in London, see: Some London Advertisements and Information
Edward & Sons were converted into a limited liability company in 1925.
The company relocated to 67, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, in 1963, and were later absorbed in the Mappin & Webb group of companies.
Images of the firms' premises can be found at: Views of Silversmiths' Premises
It is likely he company used the services of all of the assay offices, but certainly those of, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Chester, Dublin, and London.
George Edward was a great enthusiast of Far Eastern art, and had section of his Glasgow shop devoted to it. He was also connected with the Japanese art section at the International Exhibition at Glasgow in 1901.
Some examples of the wares imported by George Edward:
DEGE - Glasgow - 1896
DEGE - Glasgow - 1896
DEGE - Glasgow - 1900