GEORGE JAMIESON & SON125, Union Street, Aberdeen
The firm claim it's origin started in 1733 and it's founder Alexander Forbes, located at the "The Head of Broad Street" in Aberdeen. The first note of a Jamieson was that of William Jamieson, son of William Jamison, Advocate at Aberdeen, who was bound to James Gordon for seven years as from the 1st May 1793. Upon completion of his apprenticeship, his indentures having been registered on the 3rd April 1800, he left Aberdeen to take employment in London to gain experience. Upon his return to Aberdeen, William Jamieson was admitted into Aberdeen Hammermen on the 14th June 1806, and admitted as Goldsmith Burgess on the 27th September 1808.
In 1805 William Jamieson entered a partnership with George Roger, a former partner of James Gordon, the firm being known as William Jamieson & Co. This partnership appears to have ended by 1812.
William Jamieson died in 1841 and the business passed to his son, George Jamieson, George, who amazingly, was William's nineteenth, and final, apprentice, having been bound to his father for seven years as from the 2nd February 1833. George's indentures were registered on the 28th January 1840, and he was admitted into the Hammerman on the 27th March 1843 having already been admitted as a Goldsmith Burgess on the 13th March 1843. George Jamieson was noted as an exhibitor at the 1862 International Exhibition and was also known to be a customer of the London silversmiths Samuel Hayne & Dudley Cater, and it their work most often found struck with Jamieson's mark also. By 1867 he had moved the business to 107, Union Street, and in 1875 he took his son, William George Jamieson into partnership with the firm being known as George Jamieson & Son. William George Jamieson was admitted into the Aberdeen Hammermen on the 30th December 1875.
Geo. Jamieson & Son - Aberdeen - 1875
Geo. Jamieson & Son - Aberdeen - 1877
In 1908 the firm was purchased outright by William Whyte Carry, who had been a partner in the business since 1881.William Whyte Carry
Geo. Jamieson & Son - Aberdeen - 1900
In 1925, William Wythe Carry took the decision to move the business to 142 Union Street. Then, in 1933, on the bi-centenary of the original founding of the firm, William Whyte Carry's son Joseph Robert Carry was made a partner and the firm's name was changed to 'Jamieson & Carry'. Joseph Carry's wife, Diana, and his son, Michael Robert Carry, became partners in the business in 1969. Another son, Peter David Carry, became a partner in 1976.
The firm are still in business today and still located at 142, Union Street, Aberdeen.
Over the years the firm has used the services of the Edinburgh, London, and Sheffield assay offices.
GJ - ABDn. - Edinburgh - 1841
G.J & S - A.B.Dn