11, High Street, Dundee
Mackay Brothers, 11, High Street, Dundee, Watchmakers and Jewellers, Sept. 5th.
James Mackay jun. continues under the same style.
Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 2nd November 1891.
Mackay.—At Lorneville, Newport, Fifeshire, on October 1, Mr. George Brown Mackay, chemist and druggist, aged seventy-five. Mr. Mackay was born in Coupar-Angus, and was apprenticed to Mr. Spence, chemist, Crichton Street, Dundee. He began business on his own account in Scouringburn there, and although the trade was one of a working-class character, Mr. Mackay was highly respected by all in the district. When the British Pharmaceutical Conference first met in Dundee Mr. Mackay was one of the most active members of the committee. Five and twenty years ago he gave up the drug-business in favour of his nephew, Mr. David Mackay (now of Manchester), and associated himself with his twin brother William in their jewellery business.
Source: The Chemist and Druggist - 5th October 1907
MCB noted the following:
Edinburgh AO identifies their rectangular mark of MACKAY over DUNDEE and notes William S Mackay jeweller and silversmith active in Dundee from 1860-67 as their predecessors. The registration date of the mark nor the name of other the partner is mentioned. Census records identify him as George B Mackay.
Page 601 of Jackson’s book notes W S Mackay first mentioned in Dundee in 1858 and Mackay Brothers in 1880.
William S Mackay
He was born in Cupar around 1830 the son of James and Margaret Mackay.
In 1851 he was recorded as a journeyman watch and clock maker living in Fentons Close, Dundee with James and Margaret MCRAY and their family. William is described as their son and the reference to McRay seems an error. His brothers who were also resident there were James Hunter McRay (sic) aged 24 a painter and George B Mackay aged 21 years a druggist.
In 1861 William and George were in the same trades as previously and listed still living with their parents at Seagate, Dundee; similarly in 1871 at 20 Union Street, Dundee when William, then a master watch maker, employed 3 men 3 boys and a woman.
No 1881 Census record has been found for them.
By 1891 William and George lived with their sister Matilda at Lorne Cottage, Forgan where George is shown as having become a watch maker and jeweller as was his brother.
The two brothers still lived together at Tay Street, Fogan in 1901 where they were listed as retired goldsmiths, the last record found of them.