7, Midsteeple Buildings, Dumfries
John Dickson was in business at Dumfries as a Silversmith, Watchmaker, and Jeweller, from November 1862 until 1875. He was at least a maker of medals, as confirmed by a report in the Dumfries Standard of the 10th June 1865 mentioning the presentation of a medal to St. Mary's Bowling Club "large size and shape with on one side a suitable inscription, on the other an engraving of the bowling green with players busy at the exhilarating game. Made by J.D., which reflects great credit, the engraving is by Mr. Robert Gillies"
He appears to have been in financial trouble in 1869, and again in 1872.
THE Estates of JOHN DICKSON, Jeweller and Watchmaker, High Street, Dumfries, were sequestrated on the 17th day of March 1869, by the Sheriff of the County of Dumfries. The first deliverance is dated the 17th day of March 1869. The meeting to elect the Trustee and Commissioners is to be held at 12 o'clock noon, on Saturday the 27th day of March 1869, within the Commercial Hotel, in Dumfries. A composition may be offered at this meeting; and to entitle Creditors to the first dividend, their oaths and grounds of debt must be lodged on or before the 17th day of July 1869. A Warrant of Personal Protection against Arrest or Imprisonment for Civil Debt has been granted to the Bankrupt till the meeting for the election of Trustee.
All future Advertisements relating to this sequestration will be published in the Edinburgh Gazette alone.
J. M'W. HAIRSTENS, Solicitor,
5, Castle Street, Dumfries, Agent.
Source: The Edinburgh Gazette - 19th March 1869
John Dickson is perhaps to be identified with the Dumfries Jeweller, Samuel Dickson who died in 1859. Samuel Dickson was the nephew and successor to the business of Joseph Walker Hinchsliffe.