JOHN F.B. DONALDSONSign of Lion, 10, North Bridge, Edinburgh
John F.B. Donaldson - Edinburgh - 1881
John F.B. Donaldson entered his mark 'J.F.B.D' contained within a oblong punch with clipped corners, with the Edinburgh Assay Office.
MCB noted the following:
JOHN F B DONALDSON
The mark was first mentioned at Edinburgh Assay Office in 1897 and their website suggests it was renewed sometime after 1921. It was registered for use in watch and jewellery making.
The reference to his business being established in 1818 must relate to a predecessor as he was born in Edinburgh circa 1844.
The UK Census records list him in Edinburgh:
1851 aged 7 years living with his parents John G and Barbara Donaldson at Richmond Place; his father was a tailor and clothier;
1861as a watch making apprentice living with his parents at 4 Petterrow; his father was a spirit merchant;
1871 transcribed from the original onto website as “master out church and pariler employingshore apprentice” which may perhaps be translated as "master watch maker and jeweller employing one apprentice"? His name is similarly incorrectly transcribed as John JANE Baird Donaldson, his wife as CaHTerine ANN and he probably lived at 81a East Causewayside but who knows? The original record is not available for view as the Scottish authorities have not given permission for it to be published!
1881 & 1891 as a watchmaker and jeweller living at 17 Archibald Place with his wife Catherine Carr Donaldson and 4 children born between 1871 and 1879;
1901 as a master watch maker and jeweller at the previous address living with his 4 children, there is no mention of his wife.
He appears on the 1867 Post Office Directory and on websites in an undated directory as a watch maker and jeweller at 14 North Bridge and 92 West Bow, successor to J Millar. He had a house at 4 Lindsay Place. Perhaps it was Millar who established the business in 1818?
No Scottish Census records for 1911 or death records have been made available on line.