G. & J. ZAIR111-117, later, 123, Bishop Street, Birmingham
G. & J. Zair - Birmingham - 1881
Zair - Birmingham - 1905
G. & J. Zair - Birmingham - 1917
The business of the brothers, John and George Zair is thought to have been established in the 1830's. At some point in time G. & J. Zair were acquired by Swaine & Adeney. The name appears to have still been in use up to the 1960's at least.
Noted as supplying the Winning Jockey's Presentation Whip at the 1904 Melbourne Cup.
G. & J. Zair entered their mark 'G&J.Z' contained within an oval punch, with the Birmingham Assay Office in July 1884.
Users of the trade name 'MERLE & Co.'