ARTIFICERS' GUILD Ltd.Oil Mill Lane, Hammersmith, later, 9, Maddox Street, Regent Street, later, 4, Conduit Street, Regent Street, later, 39, Grosvenor Street, London.
The Artificer's Guild was established in 1901 by Nelson Dawson, the ownership of the business passed to Montague Fordham Ltd.(t/a the Montague Fordham Gallery), of 9, Maddox Street, Regent Street, in 1903. In 1906 the Maddox Street Gallery was renamed The Artificers' Guild (late Montague Fordham) art metalworkers. The directors of Montague Fordham Ltd. were noted as Montague E. Fordham, Edward Napier Hitchcock Spencer, and Henry Franks Waring.
H.F. Waring was replaced in 1906 by Gertrude Spink, and following the retirement of Fordham, two new directors were appointed, Lewis Hamilton, and George Manners in 1911.
The workshops of the Artificers' Guild were located at, firstly, as from 1910, British Grove, Chiswick, and then from the mid 1930's to Bush Green House, 5a, Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush.
Much of the work of the Artificers' Guild was designed by Edward Spencer.
An example of the work of Edward Spencer, a vase, hand-raised with applied wire-work, and engraved zig-zag decoration and having a loaded base. 8" (20.5cm) in height and weighing 612 grams, assayed at London in 1937:
ES - London - 1937
The firm's marks, entered with the London Assay Office, are as follows: 'ND' (Nelson Dawson) contained within two circles, on the 14th June 1901. 'M F Ltd' (Montague Fordham Ltd.) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, on the 9th January 1904. 'As Gd above Ld' contained within a heraldic shield, on the 26th April 1906, and similar, on the 20th July 1914. 'ES' (Edward Spencer) contained within a heraldic shield.