Some London Advertisements and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:20 pm

GEORGE CARLEY & Co.

30, Ely Place, Holborn, London


Image
Geo. Carley & Co. - London - 1877

The business of George Carley, Thomas Terrett Taylor and Philip Bettle. Thomas Terrett Taylor left the partnership on the 30th June 1870 and was replaced by James Gent. George Carley left the partnership on the 30th June 1876 and the business was continued by Bettle and Gent. Bettle and Gent dissolved their partnership on the 4th August 1890. The business became Carley & Clemence Ltd. in 1903.

Philip Bettle entered his mark, 'PB' contained within an oval punch, with the London Assay Office, on the 30th March 1896.

For more information regarding Thomas Terrett Taylor, see: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20382

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:10 am

JOHN GRENVILLE

Suffolk

Example of the work of John Grenville, three candlesticks, assayed at London in 1964:


Image


Image


Image

John Grenville's work features in the V & A collection.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:08 am

WILLIAM HENRY BRAND & SONS

Excelsior Works, 2-3-4, Hoxton Square, London


Image
W.H. Brand & Sons - London - 1908


Image
W.H. Brand & Sons - London - 1908

Established c.1860

The business of William Henry Brand, Frank William Brand and Edward Henry Brand.

William Henry Brand retired on the 31st July 1902.


Image
W.H. Brand & Sons - London - 1913

Notice is hereby given that the partnership lately subsisting between us, the undersigned, Edward Henry Brand and Frank William Brand, carrying on business as Manufacturers of Fancy Cabinet and Leather Goods, at 2, 3, and 4, Hoxton Square, London N1, under the style or firm of " W. H. BRAND & SONS," has been dissolved by mutual consent as on and from the third day of February, one thousand nine hundred and twenty-three. All debts due to or owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Frank William Brand, who will continue the said business under the style or firm of " Brand & Sons."–Dated this twenty-sixth day of March, 1923.
EDWARD HENRY BRAND.
FRANK WM. BRAND.


Source: The London Gazette - 27th April 1923


William Henry Brand & Sons entered their mark 'W.H.B' above '&' above 'Sns' contained within a heraldic shield, with the London Assay Office, on the 19th July 1898, and again on the 14th July 1908.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

EMMA POWELL

Example of the work of Emma Powell, an olive spoon, 8" (20.5cm) in length and weighing 36 grams, assayed at London in 1969:


Image


Image


Image

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:43 pm

BRITISH WATCH CASES Ltd.

236-240 Pentonville Road, London


Image
British Watch Cases Ltd - London - 1946


Image
B.W.C. - Edinburgh - 1961


Image
B.W.C. - Edinburgh - 1963

All examples of assaying noted so far for the British Watch Cases Ltd. company was performed by the Edinburgh Assay Office.

Earliest date noted for this company is 1931. The company appears to have been owned by the Leuba family. They imported Swiss movements and cased them in London. They used the trade name 'TREBEX'.

They appear to have gone out of business in the late 1960's.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:23 pm

LEE & CARTER

440, West Strand, London


Image
Lee & Carter - London - 1870

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 am

THOMAS WEST

3, Ludgate Hill, St. Paul's, London


Image
Thomas West - London - 1877

This business was established by at least 1818 by Thomas West Snr. at 3, Ludgate Street. He is thought to have died by 1830, as Esther West, his wife, was listed as goldsmith and jeweller at the same address in that year. Their son, Thomas West Jnr. (b.1815) appears as head of the business by 1838, and by 1841 the firm's address appears as 18, Ludgate Street. In 1867 an Old Bailey trial records Thomas West at 3 Ludgate Hill (formerly Ludgate Street).

The name of Thomas West came very much to the forefront in 2013, for it was in one of the firm's ring boxes that the celebrated ring* belonging to Jane Austen (1775-1817) was contained within. Following research, it is now believed that the box was not original to the ring.

* The ring was acquired by the American singer, Kelly Clarkson, who had purchased it at a Sotheby’s auction. It was soon realised that the ring, which is of British national importance, because of its provenance, was about to be taken out of the country and a holding order was issued by the British Government to prevent it leaving the country. The necessary funds were raised to purchase the ring back and it is now on display at Chawton Cottage, the museum that houses the Jane Austen collection.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:52 am

A. MESURE

Craven Buildings, later, 420, Strand, London


Image
A. Mesure - London - 1814


Image
A. Mesure - London - 1814


Image
A. Mesure - London - 1815

A. Mesure, sole inventor and proprietor of 'PETIT-OR'.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03 am

TIMOTHY P. CLAYTON

An example of the work and mark of Timothy P. Clayton, a teaspoon with a hammered finish in the bowl and a twisted stem, 4½" (11.6cm) in length and weighing 11grams. Assayed at the London Assay Office in 1977:


Image


Image


Image
TPC - London - 1977

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:46 pm

BENJAMIN BARLING & SONS

53, Princes Street, Soho, later, 23, Broad Street, later, Southampton Place, Camden Town, later, 142, later 65, High Street, Camden Town, later, 9-11, Park Street (re-named 108-112, Parkway c.1939), London. The firm were also noted as having additional premises located at 7 & 8, Jeffreys Place, Camden Town.


Image
B. Barling & Sons - London - 1935

Pipe mounters and manufacturers of smokers' requisites (vesta cases, cigar cutters, etc.).

Established in 1812 by Benjamin Barling. Restyled to Benjamin Barling & Sons c.1850 following the addition of Edwin and William Barling to the firm. Exhibitors at the Great Exhibition at London in 1851. Converted into a limited liability company, styled B. Barling & Sons Ltd., in 1955. The firm later became a subsidiary of The Imperial Tobacco Group.

The firm entered marks with the London Assay Office on many occasions, but essentially only of two styles. The first mark 'BB' contained within an oblong punch, was entered on the 23rd September 1815, and the second mark 'E·B' above 'W·B' incuse and without outline, was registered for the first time on the 22nd July 1869.


Image

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:37 am

PAUL ETTLINGER

4, Holborn Circus, later, 176, Regent Street, London


DARING BURGLARY

JEWELLERS' SAFE OPENED

VALUABLE GOODS REMOVED

London, April 1. Burglars entered, through a skylight, a shop adjoining Messrs. Ettlinger, jewellers, in Regent-street. They then cut huge holes in three walls into the jewellery establishment, apparently intending to remove a safe, but finally prized it open, and stole £13,000 worth of jewellery.

April 2. The thieves, who bored into the jewellery establishment from the premises of a firm of artistic fabric dealers, took a quantity of dress materials and cushions with which to deaden the sound of their tools. The robbers abandoned several electric motors, which had formed part of their automatic electric drilling outfit.


Source: The Sydney Morning Herald - 3rd April 1912



Paul Ettlinger was an importer of gold and silver mesh bags and purses, jewellery etc.

An example of a 9ct mesh purse imported by Paul Ettlinger, weighing just over 60 grams, the dimensions are 10.5 x 6.9 cm not including the suspension chain. It was assayed at the London Assay Office in 1913:


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image

Paul Ettlinger entered his marks 'PE' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 15th March 1900, and on the 30th April 1904.

Paul Ettlinger is doubtlessly to identified with Joseph Ettlinger, who entered a mark with the Chester Assay Office from the 176, Regent Street address, and also used the services of the London Assay Office as 'Triefus & Ettlinger'.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:19 am

H.W. BEDFORD & Co.Ltd.

67, Regent Street, London


Image
H.W. Bedford - London - 1887


H. W. BEDFORD AND CO. Limited.
Extraordinary Resolution
At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above named Company, duly convened, and held at No. 105, Regent-street, London, W., on Friday, the 19th day of July, 1907, the following Extraordinary Resolution was duly passed:-
"That it has been proved to the satisfaction of this Meeting that the Company cannot, by reason of its liabilities, continue its business, and that it is advisable to wind up the same, and accordingly that the Company be wound up voluntarily; and that Athelstan Dangerfield, of 56, Cannon-street, London, E.C., be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purposes of such winding up"
ARTHUR THOMAS BRITTON, Chairman.


Source: The London Gazette - 16th August 1907

According to 'Britten's Old Clocks & Watches and Their Makers' one Alfred Bedford (c.1868-d.1912) was the London representative of the Waltham Watch Company for thirty years. This Alfred Bedford is surely the same Alfred Bedford that registered his marks 'AB' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 30th August 1876 and 19th September 1876 as a gold case maker of Waltham Buildings, Holborn Circus, London, and is doubtlessly to be identified with the company of H.W. Bedford Co.Ltd.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 am

NORMAN CHEYNEY

An example of the mark of Norman Frederick Cheyney, a triangular dish with rising corners and a hammered finish, 6¾" (17cm) in width and weighing 260 grams. Assayed at London in 1973:


Image


Image


Image

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 am

GEORGE GATES HONOUR & SONS (formerly EABORN & HONOUR, earlier, HENRY EABORN)

84, later, 63, Hatton Garden, later, 18, Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, London

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership hereofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Henry Eaborn and George Gates Honour, carrying on business as Electro Plate Manufacturers, at 63, Hatton Garden in the county of London, under the style or firm "Eaborn and Honour," has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the 7th day of September, 1901. All debts due and owing to or by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said George Gates Honour. And that in future such business will be carried on by the said George Gates Honour alone.–Dated this seventh day. of September, 1901.

Source: The London Gazette - 13th September 1901


HONOUR, George Gates, " Danecroft", Heene Road, Worthing, Sussex, Silversmith, HONOUR, George Phillip, 26A, Grange Road, Eastbourne, Sussex, Silversmith, and HONOUR, Herbert Percy, " The Byways ", Chichester Road, Dorking, Surrey, Silversmith, carrying on business in partnership at 18, Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, London, as G. G. HONOUR AND SONS, SILVERSMITHS.
No. of Matter--393 of 1929.
Last Day for Receiving Proofs–Nov. 7, 1936.
Name of Trustee and Address–Hood, S. W., Bankruptcy Buildings, Carey Street, London, W.C.2, Official Receiver


HONOUR, George Gates (Separate Estate).
Court-HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
No. of Matter–393 of 1929.
Last Day for Receiving Proofs–Nov. 7, 1936.
Name of Trustee and Address–Hood, S. W., Bankruptcy Buildings, Carey Street, London. W.C.2, Official Receiver.


Source: The London Gazette - 23rd October 1936


HONOUR, George Gates, " Danecroft," Heene Road, Worthing, Sussex, Silversmith, HONOUR, George Philip, 26A, Grange Road, Eastbourne, Sussex, Silversmith, and HONOUR, Herbert Percy, " The Byways," Chichester Road, Dorking, Surrey, Silversmith, carrying on business in partnership at
18, Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, London, as "G. G. HONOUR & SONS," -SILVERSMITHS
Court - HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE.
No. of Matter–393 of 1929.
Amount per £–3½d.
First or Final, or otherwise–Supplemental.
When Payable–Any day (except Saturday), between the hours of 11 and 2.
Where Payable–Bankruptcy Buildings, Carey Street, London. W.C.2.

HONOUR, George Gates. (Separate Estate.)
Court–HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE.
No. of Matter–393 of 1929.
Amount per £–20s.
First or Final, or otherwise–First and Final.
When Payable–Any day (except Saturday), between the hours of 11 and 2.
Where Payable–Bankruptcy Buildings, Carey Street, London, W.C.2.


Source: The London Gazette - 11th December 1936

The plater's mark of G.G. Honour & Sons:


Image

The origin of the business started with the electro plater, Henry Eaborn before 1879. Eaborn later, around 1880, entered into partnership with George Gates Honour, the business styled as Eaborn & Honour, 84, Hatton Garden, London. The business removed to 63, Hatton Garden in c.1888. Following Eaborn's retirement, the partnership was dissolved in 1901, with George Gates Honour continuing alone. In c.1910 he was joined in partnership by his sons, George Philip Honour and Herbert Percy Honour, and the business restyled to G.G. Honour & Sons. In c.1912 the business opened a branch at 52, Branston Street, Birmingham. In c.1925, George Gates Honour retired due to ill-health, and the combination of this event and the worldwide recession, saw the fortunes of the firm go into decline. The Hatton Garden premises were sold off, and the business relocated to 18, Red Lion Street, but this was just a stay of execution. G.G. Honour & Sons filed for bankruptcy in 1929, and were finally wound up in 1936.

The firm were noted as exhibitors at the Jeweller's Exhibitions of 1912 and 1913.

Three marks were entered by the business with the London Assay Office. 'HE' above 'GH' (Henry Eaborn and George Honour) contained within a heraldic shield, on the 28th November 1888, 'GG' above 'H' (George Gates Honour) contained within a heraldic shield, on the 16th November 1905, and G.G.H (George Gates Honour) contained witin an oblong punch, on the 16th October 1914.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

GRENFELL FRAZIER & Co.

12,14, 16, Edgware Road, London


Image
Grenfell, Frazier & Co. - London - 1896


Image
Grenfell Frazier & Co. - London - 1902


Image
Grenfell Frazier & Co. - London - 1910


Image
Grenfell Frazier & Co. - London - 1911

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am

J.H. MONTAGUE

101, New Bond Street, London


Image
J.H. Montague - London - 1896

Late partner in C. Wright & Co. of 108, New Bond Street, London.

The business of John Henry Montague later removed to 69, New Bond Street (which was also the address of his private residence in 1906), with additional premises located at Horse Shoe Yard, Brook Street.

The business of J.H. Montague entered their marks 'J.H.M' (John Henry Montague) contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 21st December 1906.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 am

THE KEYSTONE WATCH CASE Co.Ltd.

40-44, Holborn Viaduct, London


Image
The Keystone Watch Case Co.Ltd. - London - 1909


Image
The Keystone Watch Case Co.Ltd. - London - 1910

The British branch of the Keystone Watch Case Co. of America was managed up until 1905 by Warner Reed Williams.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 am

BOTLY & LEWIS

25, King Street, Reading


Image
Botly & Lewis - Reading - 1909

Image
Botly & Lewis - Reading - 1916

The premises of Botly & Lewis were later taken over by the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Association.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:19 am

ELLY ISAAC MILLER

62a, Aldermanbury, later, 28, Dyne Road, Brondesbury, London


Image
EIM - London import marks - 1902

Elly Isaac Miller entered his first mark 'EIM' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 20th June 1892, the mark was cancelled in 1898. A new, similar mark, was entered with the LAO on the 12th December 1900.

Elly Isaac Miller appears to have worked on his own account from 1892 until 1898. He then spent two years working for Singleton, Benda & Co. Ltd. (see: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24259&start=20 ). He again worked on his own account as from 1900.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 44497
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:24 pm

CAMERER, KUSS & Co.

2, Broad Street, Bloomsbury, 186, Uxbridge Road, 522, Oxford Street (renamed 56, New Oxford Street in 1881), London


Image
Camerer Kuss & Co. - London - 1910


Image
Camerer Kuss & Co. - London - 1911

Established in 1788 as Camerer, Ropp & Co.. The firm were later restyled to Andrew Camerer & Co., and by 1852 as Camerer, Kuss & Co.

Noted as exhibitors at the International Exhibition of 1862, the Inventions Exhibition of 1885, and the Festival of Empire and Imperial Exhibition of 1911.

In line with others that had Germanic sounding names, the business was restyled to Camerer Cuss & Co. in 1914. Albert Camerer Kuss, the owner of the business at the time, changed his name by Deed Poll to Albert Camerer Cuss on the 2nd September 1914.

The business entered their marks 'CK&Co' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 21st July 1899. A second mark 'CC&Co' contained within an oblong punch, was entered on the 10th September 1914.

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 30 guests