72, Ludgate Hill, and 16-20, Farringdon Avenue, later, 35, Ludgate Hill, London
Mr. J. B. Yabsley, jeweller, of 72, Ludgate Hill, has been entrusted with the work of designing and manufacturing the Sheriffs chain and badge, which the inhabitants of the Ward of Farringdon Without have decided to present to their newly-elected Alderman (who enters upon his year of office in the Shrievalty this month), in recognition of his long public services, and the manner in which he conducted the recent Aldermanic contest. Both design and workmanship are excellent ; probably the chain is one of the handsomest of its kind which has ever been made. The collar, which is thirty-eight inches long, is composed of thirty-two links, sixteen of which are pointed oval shields, with handsome scroll borders, and fleur-de-lis ornamental centres ; the other sixteen links are of oblong shape, with Gothic ends, and raised bands across the centre. These are placed alternately, and connected by stout solid oval rings. The central shield bears the monagram "P de K." pierced in gold, and the whole joins a massive and elaborate collar. The badge itself is of elliptic shape, and contains the Arms of the City of London enamelled on a shield, with handsomely carved supporters in bold relief, and a flowing ribbon bearing the motto in blue enamel, " Domine Dirige Nos." These occupy the central part of the badge, whilst above are the Arms, Crest, and Motto of the Sheriff, and beneath those of the Spectacle Makers' Company, of which De Keyser is a member. The whole of the Coats of Arms are beautifully enamelled on separate shields with raised flowing ribbons, bearing their respective mottoes, and are in bold relief, having a background of purple enamel. The border of the badge is studded with fine brilliants, completely encircling the Coats of Arms, and forms a very noticeable feature. The outer border is formed of massive gold scrolls, intersected by the sword and mace, which are also ornamented with the same precious stones. The whole work is of 18-carat gold, and weighs nearly thirty ounces.
Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 5th August 1882
This business was founded by James Benjamin Yabsley in 1877, he was formerly a manager with J.W. Benson. Yabsley is thought to have died in the final years of the 19th century and the business was continued by Thomas Buckley and William Frederick Lovell. Buckley retired from the business in 1907, leaving Lovell to continue alone.
The firm entered two marks, 'B & L' (Buckley & Lovell) contained within three conjoined circles, on the 6th January 1905, and 'WFL' (William Frederick Lovell) contained within an oblong punch, on the 26th August 1912, both with the London Assay Office.