Main Street, Pahiatua
Oxley, George, Jeweller and Optician, Main Street, Pahiatua. This business was established in the year 1897. The premises consist of a shop, with a plate glass front, and a bulk store and unpacking room behind. The proprietor is a direct importer, and carries a well-assorted stock of watches, clocks, jewellery, silver plate and optical goods, also fancy goods, toilet requisites, etc. Mr. Oxley is well-known as a reliable and skilful tradesman, and does a large amount of repairing work. He was born in July, 1867, in Nelson, where he was educated and brought up to the jewellery trade. For fifteen years he was employed by his firm, latterly in charge of their manufacturing and repairing department, and then removed to the North Island and opened his present business in Pahiatua. Mr. Oxley is a member of the Order of Oddfellows, was for some time a member of the Pahiatua Mounted Rifle Volunteers, and is secretary of the local gun Club.
Source: The Cyclopedia of New Zealand - 1908