Daniel Low & Co., Salem, Mass., have just opened a gift section known as "Colonial Hall."
This is really a "room of gifts," comprising china, stationery, brassware, lamps, small pieces of furniture, mirrors, pictures and novelties. With this new feature, the concern's floor space is doubled.
Colonial Hall is located in the First Church building, recently purchased by the firm, which has occupied quarters here for 49 years. Colonial Hall is an innovation in jewelry salesrooms. A beautiful staircase with low broad treads that suggest ease in mounting, has been installed and takes the shopper up to the restful, roomy display section, which has been left as designed by the architect, with black walnut woodwork and Colonial yellow walls. Even a large old chandelier hangs from the center of the ceiling, but made brilliant by the illumination of 240 glass prisms. Up at the left was an organ loft, which is now an alcove bordered by the mezzanine, on which antique, graceful furniture is shown. During the holiday season a Christmas tree was shown in this part of the store, in attractive Yuletide array.
The first meeting house in Salem was built on the spot now occupied by the firm, in 1634. The original title was given nearly 300 years ago, and now the first new deed is recorded. The historical atmosphere alone that surrounds the new purchase will undoubtedly prove a helpful advertising factor.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 13th February 1924