The Watch Committee have received a letter from Messrs. William Hutton and Sons, West Street, bearing testimony to the promptness and efficiency of Superintendent Pound and the Fire Brigade on the occasion of the recent fire at their works.
Source: The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent - 6th March 1893
At William Hutton and Sons Ltd on West Street, Herbert Hutton spoke of the causes of the war and the importance of a formidable number of troops. He asked for volunteers to follow the example set by their 17 colleagues who had already enlisted. The result was 80 men volunteered themselves, of whom 24 were married, most for the full duration of the war. A request was made that they should all serve in the same regiment so that they could face the enemy in friendly company.
Source: The Home Front: Sheffield in the First World War - Scott Christopher Lomax - 2014
Messrs. W. Hutton and Son are about vacating their old premises at Thavies Inn, where they are so widely known, and have taken the extensive showrooms formerly occupied by Messrs. Maw and Son, Farringdon Road. They will thus be only a few hundred yards from their old place, as the new galleries are only just round the corner from Charterhouse Street. The imposing building is undergoing extensive structural alterations, which will no doubt result in magnificent showrooms.
Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 2nd May 1892