Philip Syng "III" will extract:

Name: Philip Syng
Residence: Philadelphia, PA
Description: Decedent
Date: 25 Sep 1760
Prove Date: 22 May 1761
Title: Silversmith
BookPage: M:114
Remarks: Sisters and Brother, Legatees: Abigail, Esther, Elizabeth, Martha, Joseph, Hannah, Ann, Mary, Christiana and Sarah. Exec: Father, Philip.

Philadelphia County Wills, 1682-1819. Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1900
silverly

Post by silverly »

Jacob Boelen's unrecorded will:

Be it known and manifest unto all People, that I, JACOB BOELEN, of New York, goldsmith, being in good health. I leave to my wife Catharina, all my estate, real and personal, lands, and goods, for life. And after her death, I leave to my granddaughter Catharina, the only child of my eldest son, Isaac, deceased, Å“3, when she is of age or married. I also leave her all that my house and lot where I now live, in the Broad street, between the houses and lots of Ursilla Van Dyck and William Roseboom. I leave to my son Henricus, all that my house and ground, now in his tenure, in New York, fronting the Dock, behind Queen street, between the lots of Anna Vanderspiegel and Cornelius Langevelt, which lot is to contain the whole breadth of the lot, and to extend back towards Queen street, sixty-three feet, to the remainder of my ground, with all my right to the Dock. I leave to my son-in-law, Jacob Goelet, Jr., and my daughter Catharine, his wife, all that my large house and ground, now in his occupation, fronting Queen street, between the houses of Anna Vanderspiegel and Cornelius Langevelt. To contain the whole breadth, and to extend back to the lot left to my son Henricus, being 70 feet 2 inches, with the privilege of a water course over the said lot to the river. And they are to pay Å“100 to my son Henricus, and Å“200 to my nephew, Coenraet Ten Eyck (son of Dirck), cordwainer, to be put at interest for my granddaughter Catharina. I leave all my personal estate to my granddaughter Catharina, and my son Henricus, and to Jacob Goelet and his wife. I make my wife Catharina, and my son-in-law, Jacob Goelet, and my son Henricus, and my nephew, Coenradt Ten Eyck, executors.

Dated July 31, 1725. Witnesses, Abraham Gouverneur, John Walters, John Marshall. Proved, March 23, 1729/30.

Abstracts of Unrecorded Wills Prior to 1790 on File in the Surrogate’s Office, City of New York, Vol. 11. Collections of the New York Historical Society. Vol. 35. New York, USA: New York Historical Society, 1903.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Johannis Nys will extract:

Nys, Johannis.Silversmith. Will. Made Feb. 26, 1733. Heirs: wife not named; dau. Letitia Hall. Exec'x, dau. Letitia Hall. Wits., Mary Irons, James McMillan. Prob. April 8, 1734. Arch. vol. A38, page 6. Reg. of Wills, Liber H, folio 48.

Valinger, Leon de, comp. Calendar of Kent County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800. Westminster, MD, USA: Familyline Publications, 1944
silverly

Post by silverly »

Some S R Bushby listings:

Listed as a watchmaker in 1860 in Lynn, Massachusetts.

Listed as a jeweler & watchmaker in 1865, '69, '70, '71

Listed in the 1867 Lynn, Massachusetts Directory, Samuel R Bushby 12 Healey's Arcade Bldg, West Lynn.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Will extract:

Decedent William Paschall silversmith resident of Philadelphia. Date 16 Dec 1695 and Prove Date 29 Apr 1696. Estate to wife Susanna nee Budd who is Executrix and son William. Legacies to parents Thomas and Joana Paschall. Mary and Rose Budd; John Budd, Senr. and Mary his wife; John Morrey's two sons, Humphrey and Thomas.
silverly

Post by silverly »

D Parsons or David Parsons was born about 1789 in Massachusetts. He was a watchmaker, clockmaker and jeweler in Amherst, Massachusetts. David is last listed in his trade in 1870 in Amherst. In 1873 his wife was boarding on her own.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Louis Quandale was born in Santo Domingo in 1791. He is listed as a watchmaker into the third quarter of the nineteenth century and was listed as such in the U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the year ending June 1870.
silverly

Post by silverly »

In 1869 Wallace Rand and William Crane were both at 122 Tremont in Boston which was also the address of C W Kennard & Co. Up to the formation of of Rand & Crane in 1885 at 3 Park, Rand was primarily listed as a salesman, and Crane was listed as a jeweler and watchmaker.
silverly

Post by silverly »

L F Durussel or Louis F Durussel immigrated from Switzerland in 1850. Initially he settled on a farm with his father Jean Louis Durussel in Newark, Tiogo County, New York. In 1857 while living in Owego, New York, Louis married Polly M Allen. Louis is listed as a jeweler from 1860 until about 1890 in Owego, New York.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Considered one of the Argonauts of California, Samuel Jelly sailed on the Brig Chrisiana from Beverly, Massachusetts for California on August 16, 1849. Samuel Jelly is listed as jeweler in Sacremento, California from 1850 until his death in 1883. Samuel's business was carried on in his name until 1889.
silverly

Post by silverly »

H H Chandler & Son Charlestown is very likely Henry H and his son Henry J Chandler who were in business together in Charlestown, Massachusetts as dry goods dealers in the first quarter of the twentieth century. Theirs was a very successful company and a flatware line would not be too much out of the ordinary.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Barton A Ballou was born 25 October 1835 in Cumberland, Rhode Island.

B A Ballou & Co (John J Fry) manufacturing jewelers is listed in the Providence Directory at 61 Peck in 1876.

At age 84 Barton A Ballou was still listed as a manufacturing jeweler in Providence, Rhode Island.

Currently, Cobb/Ballou Findings which is in East Providence, Rhode Island traces its beginnings to B A Ballou & Co.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Mueck-Cary Co, Inc is listed at at 511 E Main, Bound Brook, New Jersey at a new factory in the 1836 Polk's Somerville and Bound Brook (Somerset County, N. J.) Directory.
silverly

Post by silverly »

C M Robbins & Co ( brothers Charles M Robbins and N Willis Robbins) are listed in the 1883-4 Attleboro Directory at 24 Park as wholesale jewelry jobbers.

Mason & Robbins (Charles M) are listed in the 1892 Attleboro directory as manufacturing jewelers in the Freeman's Building, Attleboro Falls, Speciality: solid gold and rolled plate emblems and lapel buttons.
silverly

Post by silverly »

For anybody that might have a need to research the Arts & Crafts silversmith C H Didrich, here is some information that is all taken from public records:

Carl Henry Didricksen was born in Norway on 7 May 1878.

The jeweller Henry Didriksen immigrated from Christiana (Oslo), Norway to Quebec, Canada enroute to New York, New York on 3 September 1904.

Carl Henry Didricksen's wife reported in 1913 that her husband was a silversmith and that he was working for Reed & Barton Taunton, Massachusetts. At the same time she also noted that the family had lived in Brooklyn, New York and New Jersey over the past seven years.

In 1917 Carl H Didricksen was working as a Coppersmith at Union Iron Works in San Francisco, California.

In 1920 Henry C Didrichsen was working as a silversmith in his own shop in Oakland, California.

In 1930 Carl H Didrich was working as a silversmith in his own shop in Chicago, Illinois.

(Although surname spellings and given name orders and such vary, for myself at least, there is not doubt that all of these notes apply to the same person).
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote:There's quite a bit of detail available about this gentleman, but it may worth mentioning that he and his son James Jr are listed as watchmakers at 95 North Water in the New-Bedford Directory by Henry H Crapo, New-Bedford: J C Parmenter Printer, 1836.

The younger James is listed in the 1880 U S Federal Census Mortality Schedule for New Bedford, Bristol County, Massachusetts. James's occupation was watchmaker, and he was born in Rhode Island in about 1810. He died in December of 1879.
The surname that was left out of this earlier post is Munroe.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Not that some of these people are all that difficult to find anymore but to save doing a little looking, the original partners in N & H appear to have been Bernard Nussbaum and of course Walter Hunold. That is from a combination of information taken from Rainwater's and Trows Directory of Co partnerships and corporations for 1906. The latter is avaible on google books.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Some George Ernest Germer listings:

In Trows New York City Directories there is a George Germer who was a chaser in 1895 and a modeler in 1896.

In the 1900 Census for Concord, New Hampshire George E Germer who was born in Germany is listed as a silver chaser.

There is a 1903 passenger record that indicates that George a metal chaser was living in Providence, Rhode Island at that time.

George was naturalized in Providence, Rhode Island in 1905.

A passport application record for George's wife lists each place the couple lived from 1893 to 1922 and Boston is not included.
Perhaps his shop was in Providence instead of Boston.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

According to this account, Germer's home and workshop were located in Mason, New Hampshire from 1917 onwards.
New Hampshire: a Guide to the Granite State, 1938, Federal Writers' Project wrote:In Mason lives George E. Germer, acknowledged master of chased repoussé, and one of America's most expert Jewelers. Born in Germany, son of the best known jeweler in Berlin, he learned this trade from his father. Coming to America in 1893, he was employed in Tiffany's in New York for a number of years, and then opened his own shop in Boston. Failing health obliged him to move into the country, and in 1917 he bought and remodeled and old farm in Mason, where he has his workshop and where he turns out one or two pieces each year. His most notable creations are a silver gift ciborium with a repoussé panel depicting the supper at Emmaus, an altar cross with chased repoussé, and a silver diamond-studded baptismal rest for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City.
In a 1940 periodical, he was referred to as "the late George Germer", apparently he passed away shortly after this excerpt was written.
Regards, Tom
silverly

Post by silverly »

Tom,

There is absolutely no question about George E Germer's time spent in Mason, New Hampshire. I was just filling what I could about his earlier years. Sorry I wasn't any clearer. I try not to repeat the obvious, and at the same time I know I'm not the best writer going.

Respectfully,

Pat

Return to “Contributors' Notes”