281 (formerly No. 51), Chapel Street, Prahran, Victoria
Mr. Browning's establishment is situated in Chapel Street, Prahran, directly opposite the handsome new Arcade. The shop is a commodious two-storied building, occupying a frontage of 16 feet, and has a large factory at the back, where competent men are busily employed in the various branches of the business, which, it may be mentioned, is the oldest in the city, having been established in 1852. A choice assortment of English and Foreign Watches and Clocks, Jewellery, Electro-plated Ware, Optical Goods in great variety, as well as a large selection of Spectacles, are always in stock. Cricket or football clubs can be supplied with Cups, Medals, Trophies, etc., made to order, in any design, on the shortest notice and at most moderate prices. All watches and clocks purchased from this establishment are warranted for twelve months. and clocks are wound and kept in order by yearly contract. Jewellery of every description is made to order or repaired on the premises, and as none but the most experienced hands are employed. and Mr. W. M. Browning, who is a thoroughly practical man, supervises everything personally, a great reputation for first-class workmanship has been earned, not only in Victoria, but also the surrounding colonies. where a large connection has been made, and, through recommendations, is daily increasing. Work is delivered to any address within the city and suburbs, a trap being specially kept for the convenience of customers. who can reach the establishment from Melbourne either by train to Prahran Station, or by the tram which passes the door.
Source: The Year-book of Australia - 1891