I see that Julemanden with his Julenisser have been to your house, Hose!
The spoon was made by Carl Reinhold Hefftler, active in Wesenberg (now Rakvere) 1835-1880. Apprenticed to A. F. Lundmann in Weissenstein (now Paide) and from 1826-29 to J. H. Schubert in Wesenberg (Rakvere). From summer 1835 he was also joint master (Mitmeister) in Reval (now Tallinn). He died in 1880. The spoon was assayed in 1872 by V. A. Khatuntsev, in office in Reval 1869-73.
The firm was established around 1633 by the Reval merchant, Thomas von Drenteln. After his death the company was left to the Clayhills family, which originated from Dundee in Scotland. Thomas Clayhills was born as a merchant's son in 1626 and moved to Danzig and further on to Riga around 1639. His sons, Johann, Thomas and Hermann, moved to Reval. Johann Clayhills, who obtained the burghership of Tallinn in 1684, married the daughter of Thomas von Drenteln and inherited the company of his father-in-law. His son Thomas Clayhills, the mayor (Bürgermeister) of the town, left the company to his son Hermann Johann Clayhills (1719-1770), who gave the company its name Thomas Clayhills & Sohn
. After the death of Hermann Johann Clayhills, the company passed into the hands of his widow's relatives, the Girard family, in 1782. It remained in the possession of the Girards until the early twentieth century. In the late eighteenth century, the company bought its first ships. It imported mostly salt, iron, herring (in particular the young spring herring from Western Norway), codfish, tobacco, hops, etc. and exported flax, grain and timber products, later also asbestos and cement. The company developed strong business contacts with several towns in Germany (Hamburg, Lübeck), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (Liverpool) and Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg). The business continued to grow and extend its scope. In the nineteenth century, a cement factory was set up in Kunda, and an oil-shale mine in Uppia (now Ubja) and a gypsum mine in Irboska (also called Izborsk) were bought. The company made investments in many of the most important industries both in Estonia and Russia and had a very substantial part of the Estonian import and export business. The company was nationalised by the Soviets in 1940/1941.
The building of the firm Thomas Clayhills & Sohn
has become a successful gastropub in Tallinn, retaining the same name.
Do you have any information about the captain who received the spoons?