Post by dognose »

J. HARTMAN (HARTMANN)

2, Patrick Street, later, 2, O'Connell Street, Limerick

J. Hartman - Limerick - 1934

J. Hartman - Limerick - 1956

J. Hartman - Limerick - 1962

J. Hartman - Limerick - 1964

Hartmann - Limerick - 1977

Established in 1877 by Josef and Emilie Hartman from Trieberg in the Black Forest region of Germany. They were followed by their son, Michael, who in turn was followed by his son, Patrick (Paddy), and his wife, Thecla.

Converted into a limited liability company in 1962.

The business continues today, but since 1992, it operates only as a optometry practice.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Those Working in Ireland From the Mid 19th and 20th Century

Post by dognose »

BEE MOYNIHAN & Co. Ltd.

2, O'Connell Street, Limerick

Bee Moynihan & Co. Ltd. - Limerick - 1962

Bee Moynihan & Co. Ltd. - Limerick - 1963

Bee Moynihan & Co. Ltd. entered their mark, 'B·M', contained within an oblong punch, with the Dublin Assay Office.

See: https://www.925-1000.com/dlDublin.html

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ROYAL IRISH SILVER Co.

Dublin

Examples of the work and marks of the Royal Irish Silver Co.:

Green: Hibernia
Black: Crowned Harp
White: Date Letter (1969)
Blue: British Import Marks (SAO - Sheffield Assay Office)
Red: Sponsors Mark (Royal Irish Silver Co.)

Other examples of the marks:

Earlier mark:

See: https://www.925-1000.com/dlDublin5.html#M

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

LOUIS FERDINAND MOMBER

29, Maylor Street, later, 64a, St. Patrick Street, Cork

L.F. Momber - Cork - 1873

INSOLVENT DEBTORS

Petitions To Be Heard

At Cork - Oct. 17

Louis Ferdinand Momber, late of No. 29 Maylor street, and of No. 64a, St. Patrick street, both in the city of Cork, Watchmaker.

Source: Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 24th August 1872

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PATRICK O'DONNELL

Dublin

An example of the work of Patrick O'Donnell, a student at the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art in 1916:

This may be Patrick Alphonsus O'Donnell, who was recorded in the 1911 Irish Census as a 16-year-old Jeweller's apprentice. And also may be the Patrick O'Donnell noted as an apprentice with Hopkins & Hopkins and later with John Miller.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18350&p=78404&hili ... ell#p78404

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ANDREW BUCHANAN Jnr.

71, Church Street, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

Noted as a Silversmith and Jeweller of Ralphena, Broughshane Road, Ballymena, Co. Antrim and a member of the Buchanan Society in 1923.

Andrew Buchanan jnr. was the son of Andrew Buchanan, a Watchmaker and Jeweller of Shirley, Bothwell Road, Hamilton, Scotland.

Buchanan, A., Watchmaker and Jeweller, is recorded at 71, Church Street, Ballymena, in The Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory for 1910.

Perhaps to be identified with James Buchanan, Watchmaker, of 27, Wellington Street, Ballymena (The Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory for 1910).

The 1901 Irish Census records Andrew Buchanan as a 37-year-old, Co. Antrim born Watchmaker. He is married to 31-year-old, Co. Antrim born, Ellen. The couple reside at 64, Church Street, Ballymena, recorded in the census as a shop and dwelling, along with their four children, Walter, 10, James, 8, Andrew, 5, and Matilda, 3-years of age. The family's religion was recorded as Brethren.

The 1911 Irish Census notes that Andrew Buchanan, now aged 47, and his family have removed to 20, Broughshane Road, Ballymena, recorded in the census as a private dwelling. The Children are recorded as Andrew, 15, Mildred, 13, Ellen, 9, and Winiefred, 7-years-of-age. The family's religion was recorded as 'Christian Religion'. The census records that Andrew and Ellen had been married for 20 years, had 7 children, of whom 6 were living.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31210&p=180570#p180570

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JAMES TUITE

Mullingar, County Westmeath

............Mr Forster was very busy arresting and releasing suspects on the reports of magistrates and police. His arrest of Mullett enraged the Invincibles, who were now continually lying in wait for him as he moved to and fro. On the day of the Skipper's Alley murder he released Mr James Tuite, chairman of the Mullingar Town Commissioners, after nine months' imprisonment as a suspect. I got to know Mr Tuite very well, when he became a member of Parnell's parliamentary party in 1886. He was a jeweller and watchmaker, a strong temperance advocate, and a most respectable man. On the night of Tuite's release, the houses of two farmers at Feakle, in county Limerick, named McNamara and Moroney, who had paid their rents, were visited by moonlighters. McNamara was compelled to apologise on his knees, while rifles were discharged over his head. Moroney was deliberately shot in the knee, most seriously wounded and disabled for life. Three days after this, a caretaker on an evicted farm not far away was shot in the head with five pellets, and left for dead.

Source: The Irish Revolution - Michael J.F. McCarthy - 1912

The 1901 Irish Census records James Tuite as a 50-year-old, Co. Westmeath born, unmarried, Justice of the Peace. He is residing with his brother, John, a 63-year-old jeweller, at 6, Greville Street, Mullingar, recorded in the census as a shop and private dwelling,. The brother's religion was recorded as Catholic.

The 1911 Irish Census records James as a 61-year-old Magistrate/Jeweller. He is recorded at 18, Greville Street, and is still unmarried.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN RATTIGAN

Stonebridge, later, 26, South Main Street, Ferrybank South, Wexford

John Rattigan - Wexford - 1935

Established in 1935 by John Rattigan, this family business continues and is now with the third generation.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CLYDE & Co., Ltd.

Dublin

NEW COMPANIES

CLYDE & Co., Ltd. (11,288)
Private company. Registered in Dublin, October 13. Capital £5,000 in 5,000 shares of £1 each. Objects: To carry on the business of manufacturers, producers, exporters and importers of and dealers in leather goods, jewellery, hardware, and fancy goods of all kinds, etc. The directors are: Michael Harris, Dublin (manufacturer); Hyman K. Kernoff, 13, Stamer Street, South Circular Road, Dublin (agent).

Source: The Jeweller & Metalworker - 1st November 1945

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JAMES THOMPSON

Nassau Street, Dublin

POLICE COURT, 6th April.—Before Captain Roberts. Thomas Williams, a railway policeman, in the employ of the London and North Western Railway Company, was brought up charged with having stolen, on the night of the 18th December last, a box, containing cutlery of the value of £57,

Mr. Preston, of Chester, appeared for the prosecution on behalf of the railway company, and Mr. Powell, of Carnarvon, for the prisoner.

James Thompson, being sworn, said—I am a cutler, residing in Nassau Street, Dublin. I am in the habit of transacting business with Harrison, Brothers and Howson, of Sheffield. I gave them an order about August last year for cutlery. At the same time I gave Mr. Harrison some cutlery to be dealt with as I directed part of that cutlery consisted of four daggers now produced. I identify these daggers as those given to Mr. Harrison. In the month of December last, I received in due course an invoice of the goods I ordered about August, I received one box of goods to the amount of £ 26 I did not receive the larger box containing the rest of the order. I have compared the articles now produced with the invoice, and recognize them as part of those invoiced. The invoice specified that my order was sent to me in two boxes. I always require the cutlers at Sheffield to stamp my name upon articles supplied by them to me. Thompson, Nassau, Street, Dublin, is stamped on all the articles now produced. There is no other Thompson in Nassau Street, but myself. The invoice stated that both boxes were sent to me by rail, via Holyhead, and at the same time. The value of the missing box and contents is about £57.

Cross-examined by Mr. Powell.—I cannot say the exact value of tile articles now shewn me. It would take a long time for me to compare them with the invoice to do so.

Joseph Whitley being sworn said - I am in the employ of Messrs. Harrison, Brothers and Howson, cutlers, Sheffield. I prepared an order in December last, for Mr. Thompson, Nassau Street, Dublin. It consisted of knives, scissors, and razor straps. I did not put them in paper cases, but I wrote numbers on most of the papers. I identify some of these paper parcels produced as marked by me. They contain cutlery which I directed to be packed in them for Mr. Thompson. The numbers on them agree with the numbers in the invoice. The invoice produced is the original, which would be sent to Mr. Thompson. I identify all these articles produced as those which passed through my hands for Mr. Thompson. After sorting and ticking them, they were sent in the usual course to Mr. Thompson. That would be on the 12th of December last. I recognize the 4 dagger knives.

Robert Mothersill, in the employ of the London and North Western Railway Company, at Manchester, proved that the 2 boxes addressed to Thompson, of Dublin, were made up for the Holyhead train, which started from the Liverpool Road Station, Manchester, about half past two in the afternoon of the 14th day of December last.

George Eccles being sworn said - I am superintendent of the Detective Force, in the service of the London and North Western Railway Company. From information I received, I proceeded to Holyhead on the 29th March last. I went to the prisoner, who was on duty at the level crossing gates at the end of the passenger station. I took him into his cabin. I then told him I had information that he had been dealing rather extensively in cutlery, and I took 2 knives out of my pocket and said, Those knives I believe you had been selling, "I found those in London." He replied, "I have sold 2 or 3." I told him the knives were stolen from the company, and part of a of £50 or £60 robbery. Prisoner then said that he had received them from a man in the street. I asked him if he knew his name, he replied that he did not. I then told him I should apprehend him on a charge of stealing the cutlery, and I enquired if he had any more about his person or in his cabin. He said he had not. I then searched him. I searched a coat that was hanging up in his cabin, and found these 8 knives in the pocket, and also 9 pairs of scissors. They bear the mark of Thompson, Nassau Street. I told him I should take him home and search his house. My assistant Cotton was with me. On arriving at his house, I left the prisoner's wife with Cotton, and went upstairs with the prisoner. I found a large chest in a back bedroom. On opening the lid, prisoner rushed at me, and attempted to put his hand into the box. I pushed the prisoner back from me, who then ran down-stairs. Prisoner when he got down-stairs was very violent. I found him struggling with Cotton at the bottom of the stairs; he was fighting and kicking ultimately he was handcuffed and secured I then went up-stairs and searched the box, and found in it the knives I now produce.

The last witness's evidence was corroborated by Charles Cotton, a detective police officer in the employ of the railway company.

On the usual charge and caution being read over to the prisoner, he replied -"I reserve my defence." Bail was accepted for his appearance at the next Quarter Sessions, himself in £100, and two sureties in £100 each.

Source: The North Wales Chronicle - 16th April 1864

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SILVERCRAFT Ltd.

10d, later 21b, Albert Walk, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Silvercraft - Bray - 1964

Silvercraft - Bray - 1966

Incorporated as Silvercraft Limited on the 7th November 1963.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

R. WALLACE

129, George Street, Limerick

R. Wallace - Limerick - 1910

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

J.M. ATKINSON

24, College Green, Dublin

J.M. Atkinson - Dublin - 1869

Late of West and Sons.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PATRICK KEANE & Co.

Oliver Plunket Street, Cork

William Montgomery & Son, assessors, are offering a reward of £300 for information leading to the recovery of £4,000 worth of diamond rings stolen from the jewellery shop of Patrick Keane & Co., Oliver Plunket Street, Cork.

Source: Jeweller and Metalworker - 15th June 1964

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

NORAH O'KELLY

Dublin

An example of the work of Norah O'Kelly, a student at the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art in 1916:

This is likely to be the same Norah O'Kelly who is recorded in the 1911 Irish Census as a 25-year-old, Co. Dublin born 'Art Teacher of Metalwork'. The census records that she was unmarried, residing at 20, Templeogue, Tallaght, Dublin, and her religion Catholic. She was the daughter of Bernard and Norah O'Kelly.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

DESMOND WEST

Dublin

One of Ireland's leading jewellers, Mr. Desmond West, was killed in a car crash on the night of 31st May, near Pallaskenry, Ireland. The last male member of the Dublin family of jewellers and silversmiths and internationally known, he was aged about 40.

West & Co. have been in business in Dublin for the past 244 years. The founder was Matthew West, whose silver work is world famous.

In 1962 Mr. Desmond West bought the biggest teak motor yacht built in Ireland for more than £70,000. He intended to use it as a floating showroom for £250,000 worth of silver plate and jewellery but met unforeseen difficulties and had to give up the idea.

Source: Jeweller and Metalworker - 15th June 1964

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

J.N. MACARTNEY

6, Donegall Place, Belfast

Macartney's - Belfast - 1852

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CECIL W. HULL

240, Shankhill Road, Belfast

Ulster Jewellers Elect New Officers

Mr. C.W. Hull is the President of the Ulster Jewellers' Association for its silver jubilee year. He was installed at the annual general meeting held at the Kensington Hotel, Belfast, on 28th March. The Vice-President is Mr. J.L. Boyle and Mr. E. Skillen becomes Honorary Treasurer, replacing Mr. Hull who has held that office for six years. Mr. Louis Millar, is Honorary Secretary, the office he has filled with only one year's break since 1946.

Source: Jeweller & Metalworker - 15th April 1962

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FRANCIS BRENNAN

83, St. Patrick Street, Cork

F. Brennan - Cork - 1886

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18350&p=81059&hilit=brennan#p81059

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”