Fleet Street, Dublin
NEW BUSINESS PREMISES
Mr. TERENCE KELLY'S NEW SALE DEPARMENT, FLEET STREET
Mr. Terence Kelly, who for many years has occupied a foremost place among city pawnbrokers, is now making a move in a new direction. Yesterday there took place the formal opening of his new establishment in Fleet Street, with a really magnificent stock of jewellery, silver plate of all kinds, watches, clocks, etc. Formerly the space abutting on Fleet Street was used for storage purposes, but the proprietor has wisely decided to open a regular emporium in the main thoroughfare. The costly and artistic character of the goods displayed has been kept in view by the architect, and the elegant and luxurious fittings harmonise with the expensive stock in trade. The faÃ§ade is of cement, treated in a chaste and effective style, and the appearance of the large plate-glass windows, with their very tempting array of jewellery, must attract the attention of the most indifferent passer-by. The internal decorations are quite in keeping with the imposing exterior. The walls are covered in aesthetic Lincrusta Walton in ivory white, except the deep dado, which is of a warm chocolate tint. Inside the counter the floor is of parqueterie, and outside of mosaic. Mahogany counter and show-cases and elaborate brackets of art ironwork set off to the best advantage the precious specimens of the jeweller's art on view in this establishment.
The stock consists of ladies' and gentlemen's watches of the highest class and finish, diamonds, rubies, pearls, and all manner of precious stones, set in a hundred different styles, from the regal tiara to the brooch or ring of every-day use, and including brilliants in single stones and clusters, earrings, pendants, and scarf pins. Then there are gold chains and bangles, and in fact every article made from the precious metal. In silver there is a fine display of trinket boxes, cigar and cigarette-cases, purses, toilet bottles, fish carvers, also silver tea and coffee sets, milk jugs, presentation cups, bowls, trays, and salvers, candlesticks, dessert sets and fish eaters - in a word, every branch of the silversmith's art is well represented. Some special items are ladies dress and gentleman's suit cases with silver fittings, chime clocks etc. In addition to the forfeited goods from his own establishment, Mr. Kelly is constantly purchasing large stocks in London, Manchester, Sheffield, and other English centres, so that he is in a position to give his customers the advantage of his shrewd purchases in the chief markets, and only recently he bought the stock of Messrs. White and Schopperle, Grafton Street. He does not confine himself to watches and jewellery. In his commodious showrooms may be seen Erard and other well-known pianos, bicycles by many makers, cabinets of cutlery, Gladstone bags, opera and field glasses, and a host of other useful and elegant articles. Taken all round, Mr. Kelly's new establishment is worthy of his well-known enterprise and is certain to draw to itself a large share of public patronage. Mr. G.L. O'Conner, Great Brunswick Street, is architect of the new building, Messrs. Kiernan, Talbot Street, the contractors, while Messrs. Fitzgerald, Great Brunswick Street, did the decorations. Messrs. Sage, of London, supplied the shop fittings; Messrs. Cummins the electrical installations, and George Price, Wolverhampton, the massive safes.
Source: Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 7th March 1898
The 1901 Irish Census reveals Terence Kelly as a 47 year old Justice of the Peace and Pawnbroker, born in Dublin City. He is married to 46 year old Maryanne, who was also born in Dublin City. They lived with four of their children, Augustene 7, Geneveive 6, Dorothy 5, and Winifred 3 years, all the children were born in Dublin County. The family are Roman Catholics, have two live-in servants, and reside at 373, Palmerston Road, Dublin.
The 1911 Census reveals Terence Kelly, now 57 years old, a Jeweller and Pawnbroker, but not longer stating that he is a J.P. Marryanne Kelly was not resident on the day of the Census, but presumably still alive as Terence Kelly states that he is married, rather than a Widower. The children in residence are different from those in the 1901 Census, this time we have Angela 24, James 23, and Charles 19 years. James was recorded as a Dentist. The children are all unmarried and the family maintain two servants. Their address now is 66, Lower Leeson Street, Dublin. The record also reveals that Terrence and Maryanne Kelly have been married for 32 years, and had 11 children, of whom 10 were living.
The business of White & Schopperle, from whom Terence Kelly purchased their remaining stock, appear in local directories as 'Watchmakers, Goldsmiths and Jewellers', of 33, Grafton Street, Dublin, during the period 1887-1893. As their stock was acquired in c.1898 it is likely they were business a few years longer than the 1893 date.