Dirksen Silver Filigree Company.

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
2209patrick
co-admin

Dirksen Silver Filigree Company.

Post by 2209patrick »

Some time ago there was a discussion here about filigree silver.
I believe Cheryl mentioned the Dirksen Silver Filigree Company of Freeport Illinois.
They were producing filigree silver pieces from the 1880's to around 1905.

Since I only live an hour east of there I thought I would make a trip to the local museum to see what examples of Gerrit Dirksen's work they had.
Even here in the mid-west we don't see his pieces very often. Thought I'd share some photos of what I found.
The items were in a glass case and the following pictures were shot through the glass.

Pat
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Lovely pieces, thanks for sharing your visit, Patrick! My Mom has a small collection of pierced, filigree and plique-a-jour spoons, this piece bears the mark of Chicago maker Wendell, but is most likely by Dirksen as they were known to use blanks by other makers (usually A.F. Towle), though I suppose it could have been made by a Dirksen-trained smith.

~Cheryl

2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Cheryl.

Your mom must have a good collection.
They have got some impressive pieces there too. It was worth the trip.
Just wish I could have gotten pictures of Gerrit Dirksen's marks.

Pat.
Last edited by 2209patrick on Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pat & Cheryl,
Thanks for sharing all of this. I'm curious to know if Dirksen ever produced any plique work? Some of the patterns would have been ideal for it.

Regards, Tom
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Tom.

Gerrit Dirksen was born around 1818 in Emden, Germany. Having learned his trade in Germany he might have been familiar with plique-a-jour. However, I did not see any examples among his pieces at the museum.
The mail order catalog does not show any plique work either.

Dirksen did produce some jewelry.

For those not familiar with the plique-a-jour technique, check out enamel here:
http://www.925-1000.com/silverglossary2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Forgot to post the museum website with more pictures and information.

http://www.stephcohs.org/dirksen_silverware.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Dirksen Silver Filigree Company.

Post by dognose »

Dirksen Silver Filigree Co. - Freeport, Ill. - 1893

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Dirksen Silver Filigree Co. - Freeport - 1896

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WORLD'S FAIR - CHICAGO-1893

Disposition of the Jewelry Exhibits After the Fair

Chicago, Ill., Oct. 28.–The question of what would become of all the grand exhibits collected under the roof of the various great buildings is one that each visitor has many times asked himself during the closing week of the great Fair. Regret is everywhere heard that so marvelous a display of man's and woman's handiwork should pass into a mere matter of history and visionary plans for its perpetuation have crowded fast upon the minds of many. It is a pity to see the glorious spectacle pass from sight and more's the pity that concerted action can not be had looking toward the establishment of a permanent exhibit of the lines of manufacturing jewelers in New York city.

Dirksen Silver Filigree Co.:–This firm will take the exhibit to their factory at Freeport, Ill., remodel it, and send to San Francisco, where they have paid for 70 square feet at the Midwinter Fair.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 1st November 1893

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Dirksen Silver Filagree Co. - Freeport, Ill. - 1897

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Death of Gerriet Dirksen

Freeport, Ill., June 11. — Gerriet Dirksen, founder of the Dirksen Silver Filigree Co., of this place, died at his home, 133 State St., of old age, Sunday.

The deceased was born in Emden, Germany, in 1817, and was the son of a gold and silversmith. His father was an expert maker of filigree goods and it was from him he learned the trade.

In 1850 Mr. Dirksen came to New York, worked at his trade for a few years and, finally, came to Freeport, where he engaged in the grocery business. This he closed after a few years and organized a company to manufacture filigree jewelry goods, which is now known as the Dirksen Silver Filigree Co. The concern prospered and its product was sold all over the country. It is said to be the only filigree manufacturing company located in the United States.

Owing to his advanced age, Mr. Dirksen, some time ago, sold his share in the business to his sons, R. D. and J. A. Dirksen, and practically retired, though as often as his health permitted he visited the factory and took part in its affairs.

The deceased was a man of strict honor and integrity and was highly respected in his community. The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon from the Second Presbyterian Church and were conducted by Rev. F, A. Hosmer.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 18th June 1902

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Dirksen Silver Filigree Co. - Freeport - 1896

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”