Of the examples of silversmith’s work which we have selected for illustration, No. 1 was contributed by Mr. Phillips, of Cockspur Street : a fine candelabrum, about 3 feet 6 inches high, presented by the Emperor of Brazil to John Hay Drummond, Esq., C.B., Her Majesty’s Minister at Morocco, as a souvenir of great and timely services rendered by him on the occasion of the wreck of the Imperial Brazilian corvette Dona Isabel, at Cape Spartel, Tangiers, Nov. 11, 1860. The two medallions at the base are engraved with the shipwreck and the arms of Drummond Hay respectively, with the inscription: “ Corveta D. Isabel, 11 de Novembro, 1860, o Brazil reconocido.” Above these are imperial crowns, guarded by dragon supporters. From the top of the stem spring five branches, each bearing three lights, the stem itself terminating with the armorial globe of Brazil, surmounted by an angel.
No. 2, by Messrs. Howell & James, is a casket presented to the Rev. T. Raffles, of Liverpool. On a shield of the lid is the following inscription :—“ To the Rev. Thomas Raffles, D.D., LL.D., F.R.S., the eloquent preacher, the faithful pastor, the loving and genial man, this casket is presented to commemorate a pastorate of fifty years.” On a corresponding shield, the other side, are placed the date of the building of the Great George-street Chapel, and other incidents in the reverend doctor’s life. The figure of Religion surmounts the lid, pointing to the Bible as the way of life, and trampling under foot the serpent, or evil spirit of the world. Religion is supported on either side with emblematic figures of Faith and Hope, Charity being represented by the four panels round the body of the casket, which illustrate the clergyman’s duties ; Viz., to comfort the afflicted, visit the sick, feed the hungry, and instruct the ignorant. Between the two panels in front is a medallion portrait of the doctor ; the ornament of vine-leaves, lilies, ivy, oak, and acorns, is intended to have a symbolic meaning. On the base are engraved the arms of the recipient, and those of Liverpool. It was designed and modelled by Mr. Felix M. Miller, Professor of Sculpture at the South Kensington School of Art, and contained an illuminated address by Mr. J. Leighton (Luke Limner).
The remaining subjects are by Mr. Hancock, and are worthy of the reputation he has obtained. No. 3 is a vase in oxydized silver, designed and chased by Mr. H. H. Armstead. It was executed for the Earl of Dudley, and is ornamented with figures in relief round the body of the vase, representing the meeting of Henry VIII. and Francis I. on the field of the Cloth of Gold, for which the bas-reliefs of the Hôtel Bourgtheroulde, at Rouen, have evidently been used as an authority for costume and grouping. The handles of this vase, both from the manner in which they spring from the body and for their contours, are deserving of great praise. The other vase, also in oxydized silver, is intended for a table service. It is of excellent design and execution; and round the base is an inscription,—“ Richard Croft Chawner, from John Robinson McLean, 1861.”
All these works were characterized by much originality of design, and deserved to be recorded as amongst those which obtained for English works in precious metal so distinguished a place in the Exhibition of 1862. In another ten years still greater progress will no doubt be made, and we trust then to add the name of Mr. Pierpoint to the list of our greatest English workers in the precious metals: his works, executed for and exhibited by Mr. Angell, were full of the highest promise.
Source: Masterpieces of Industrial Art & Sculpture at the International Exhibition, 1862 - J.B. Waring - 1863
Jacobson, Otto W. Born Tronninge, Halland, Sweden, March 30, 1895. At thirteen years of age learned the jewelry trade in Halmstad and after four years of apprenticeship arrived in Chicago, 1912, and was then employed at C. D. Peacock Inc., Chicago. Later went to San Francisco, Calif, and was there employed by Schrew (Shreve?) & Co., Jewelers. From there enlisted in the Air Service of the United States in 1917 as an instrument man during the first World War. Since 1921 has been established in his own business, dealing primarily in diamonds and jewels. Has served on Board of Directors of Swedish Engineers' Society.
Source: A History of the Swedish Engineers' Society of Chicago - 1908-1948
CASKET FROM THE CITY OF LONDON TO THE KING OF DENMARK
The handsome gold casket containing the address of welcome which was presented to the King of Denmark by the City of London, is surmounted by a model of an ancient Danish galley in full sail, and the combined monograms of the King and Queen set in rubies and sapphires, with the Royal crown set in brilliants. On the sides of the box are the full heraldic blazon'of the King of Denmark and panels giving views of London in enamel. Supporting the box are four British lions, all in solid gold. The casket was manufactured by the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company.
Mr. A. James Parker, President of the Acme Silver Company, was born October 25th, 1845, at Birmingham, England. He was educated at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, London, England, and New Cross Naval School, from which he graduated in 1859. After seeing active service in the Royal Navy, he was some time in the Civil Service of New South Wales. Returning to England in 1864, he was sent by Messrs. B. J. Eyre & Co., of Sheffield, to the United States, as their representative, and afterwards became connected with the firm of Messrs. Rogers & Bro., of Waterbury, Conn., manufacturers of plated-ware. In 1878, he became Canadian Manager for the Meriden Silver Plate Co., and on their retiring from the Canadian market he was for a year associated with the Meriden Britannia Co., of Hamilton. In 1885 he purchased the controlling interest in the Acme Silver Co., of which he has been President since that date. The goods of this Company, besides being well-known in Canada, find markets in the West Indies, Australia, and New Zealand. Mr. Parker is a Freemason, an honourary member of the Junior United Civil Service Club of England, and in religion, is an Episcopalian.
Source: Toronto, Old and New - G. Mercer Adam - 1891
The solid silver cup illustrated was presented by Sir Thomas Dewar to the English Bowling Association. The design is a unique one, having the winged figure of Victory on either side resting upon rich scroll ornaments forming handles. Both on the front and back of the cup there is a panel bearing a bowling scene in relief. The lid is decorated with thistles and roses, and is surmounted by a finely modelled figure of Sir Francis Drake. The whole stands upon a polished pedestal, bearing plates for engraving the names of winners. The cup was designed and executed by The Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Company, Ltd.
An mage of the flatware and cutlery designed by Anthony Gordon Elson and made by Blunt & Wray for the Director's Dining-room at Barclay's Dominion, Colonial and Overseas branch in their newly built head office located at Lombard Street in the City of London: