Scent bottle

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
meyrink
contributor

Scent bottle

Post by meyrink »

Hello. I'm sure of the manufacturer of this bottle - Rothe from Vienna. But I wonder what you think of its purpose. I have a theory, but I don't want to influence you. Thanks

gsmoggy

Re: Scent bottle

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Meyrink
Looks like a perfume bottle to me, are there any makers marks anywhere? box name maybe retailer. Interesting to see what is under the top.

Very nice quality item.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Meyrink
It looks like they mainly specialized medals.

Regards Guido.
meyrink
contributor

Post by meyrink »

Thanks Guido.

Yes, Rothe made mainly medals, but he was also making special objects for Imperial court in Vienna. In Sothebys auction you can find An Austrian Imperial diamond-set gold and enamel presentation snuff box, C.F. Rothe & Neffe, Vienna, late 19th century. For me the most interesting thing is the initial on the box, which is E - probably for Elisabeth of Austria.

Christian Friedrich Rothe (born 29 July 1817 in Altenburg, Saxony) was apprenticed as a goldsmith in Vienna in 1834 and set up business in 1844. He was appointed Court Jeweller and Goldsmith to Franz Joseph in 1855 supplying Empress Elisabeth with the diamonds for her coronation as Queen of Hungary in 1867 and becoming Jeweller to the Shah of Persia in 1873 and to the Emperor of Brazil in 1874 (following the ill-fated Vienna International Exhibition of 1873). Rothe took his two nephews Anton Otto Gerbitz and Heinrich Emil Rothe into the firm (which at its peak employed some 60 workers) in 1850 and 1867. The business continued through five generations of the family under the name ‘zum Nibelungenhort’ at 7 Kohlmarkt until its closure in 2005.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Meyrink
Many Thanks for the information on the Rothe Company history .A very distinguished company.

I do like Austrian silversmiths work,not sure if you have seen my posts re -Leo Wagner, Hermann Ratzersdorfer,Both worked in Vienna.
The quality of of some of the early Viennese makers I find very interesting and enjoyable to own.
As I have said before I collect interesting well made small boxes,from many different countries.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Mystery Objects”