Large spoon with spike handle?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
TripleLock

Large spoon with spike handle?

Post by TripleLock »

Let me preface this by saying Thank You for this site. I hope some day I can find something that can be an actual contribution to what you all are doing here.

It's been amazing for me since I started buying silver (and gold) last summer when my toddler wanted a necklace that cost a quarter that turned out to be gold, and I caught the bug.

Most questions I have had as I buy up bits of silver at thrift shops and garage sales has been answered here, but these unmarked, 8.5 inch long (coin silver? I need to visit the xrf machine) spoons have me stumped, and I thought I might ask. I've been finding the variety and uses of all the myriad of silver eating utensils to be fascinating.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Large spoon with spike handle?

Post by dragonflywink »

Welcome to the forums. Nice job on your first post!

They are Andean shawl pins called tupu (topu), most likely Bolivian or Peruvian - probably silver, larger and more nicely made than some, would guess from the late 19th century into perhaps the mid 20th...

~Cheryl
TripleLock

Re: Large spoon with spike handle?

Post by TripleLock »

Thank you so much Cheryl!

I'm still new at this, and I have no idea what kind of silver will come my way out here in rural Montana, but if the year or so of collecting is any indication some very interesting things may present themselves. So far this is the pirate hoard that my wife laughs at me or having pile up, which fortunately doesn't bug her because is all sterling. Although a bit of it is weighted to be fair.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

I've been amazed how much silver and gold can be found once you get an idea of what to look for.

Outside of asking questions about things I can't figure out (with good pictures) is there any other way I may be able to contribute to this site and forum?

Return to “Mystery Objects”